so i got the anti glare film

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cryonic49, Nov 5, 2008.

1. cryonic49 macrumors member

So i got the anti glare film from photodon.. it works.. no glare, no headache

but there is this layer of color dithering on the screen. it's kind of like photoshop's noise filter.. which is pretty darn distracting if I concentrate on it... oh well.. :-(

I shall take part the panel next time when the t6 torx arrives to see if i get just get rid of the whole friggin glass...

oh this is the film from photodon.com

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

AFAIK, the glass is glued to the rest of the display assembly, so it's not going to be easy to remove it. Even if you do get it off, it probably won't look too good.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The colour effect is pretty much standard when using a film. I've used an anti-glare film from Power Support on my iPod touch and got the same issue - something to do with the way it scatters light and waves and sciencey stuff like that.

The glass provides the support structure to the display and cannot be removed - well, SHOULD not be removed, unless you want a floppy, easy-to-break display.

4. Scottological macrumors member

Glad to hear someone's tried this. Question for you: how does the antiglare film affect the readability of text on the screen and the brightness? Also, was it a pain to apply?

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

it's a hell of a lot easier to spray a little water onto the surface, a fine mist will do, need not soak it! it'll give you a little moveability when positioning, after push all the water out using a cloth, the reminder will evaporate over time... well that's the way I get a perfect installation.

6. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

Could you post pictures please? I'd like to see how this looks.

7. Scottological macrumors member

8. cryonic49 thread starter macrumors member

it would be too hard for my camera to capture those ditherings....

here what you can do in Photoshop to get a really good idea of how it looks
    take a screenshot of your desktop, load it into photoshop, create a new white layer, set it at 4% opacity. Then, Filter>noise>add noise> 400% non-monochromatic Gaussian

and i am planning rid of the friggin glass, even if i break the glass. It's just that annoying.

I just need to build a new bezel. A flat black matching the keyboard and hinge would look pretty nice with rest of laptop. Perhaps I can get a black macbook's bezel off ebay and sand of the corners to fit...

ifixit made usps to require a signature for a t6 screw driver(whiskey tango fox!) and i wasn't there..

9. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

10. cryonic49 thread starter macrumors member

huh? the second part of my post was was talking about the glass overlay on the panel itself, not the anti glare film

11. Scottological macrumors member

Sorry to beat a dead horse, er, thread, but how legible is the text on, say, a web page or word doc beneath the antiglare film? That's my chief concern. I do very little photo editing and can live with a touch of dithering, but it's the sharpness of text that worries me. Any thoughts?

12. No1451 macrumors 6502

As stated already the glass screen helps give the top support so it doesn't flop around and bend. Good luck trying to remove it.

13. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

Yeah I see what you mean. I once got rid of a PC laptop because the screen looked like this actually.

Good luck trying to remove the bezel. It's not something I would do myself, but I have no experience doing the type of modification you are talking about. Let us know how it goes!

14. cryonic49 thread starter macrumors member

its blurrier.... though it's actually more comfortable to read (if you don't mind the dithering).

-Z

15. cryonic49 thread starter macrumors member

well I ordered b133ew03, macbook air panel. So before I actually take apart the current panel, I want to make sure that the new panel works.

From the comparisons of connector sizes, MB Alu and MBA are the same - though i was working from low res pictures.

If the new panel doesn't work, I'm not sure if I'd want go go ahead on taking the current panel part , I would contemplate on returning the macbook instead... who knows :-\

16. cryonic49 thread starter macrumors member

Here is the photshop mock up. I think it's pretty accurate, except IRL, the dithering looks like layered on top(as it should be because it is layered up top of the glass)..

linky

-Z

17. Scottological macrumors member

Yeah, on my PowerBook G4 screen it looks...the same. I'm gonna have to try this out when I pull the trigger on a new MacBook. As a text guy, it looks all right to me. Thanks for posting that.