iPad So I got the iPad Air 2 today and here is what happened

Discussion in 'iPad' started by silveripad, Nov 8, 2014.

1. silveripad, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014

silveripad macrumors newbie

Good news first. The tablet is really great. It is noticeably faster. Really light and thin. It is what I thought it would be.

So I walk in and the first thing I check was that distortion thing on the screen. It wasn't an issue on that iPad there, so I asked for a black one. They didn't have. So I decided to check at a non Apple store. While she went to the back to check, I checked their iPad and the screen issue was terrible. Just holding it with one hand caused the screen to warp, like you are pushing an lcd screen from the front. Huge black blob. I started to get scared.

So I ran back to the Apple Store. I said fine. Get me a silver one. I got it out of the box and this one was also fine, just like the one on display. I really have to want it to make it happen for me to notice it. But you can do that with the Xperia tablet and the Air 1 in fact.

So if you're out looking for an iPad you have to go in person. Don't order online.

It is basically like a laptop but better, with the apps I have.

Some are Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Photoshop, Pixelmator, iDraw also an app called AnyFont that allows me to install any font I want and then they're available in all my apps.

I'm really happy and this will serve as a laptop replacement no problem.

Oh yes, the sound vibration is a non-issue. This thing is loud as hell. Also the screen is perfect. I did a screen test before I took the receipt. The only thing I had to test at home was looking at it inside a dark room for light bleed. It had 0 light bleed. If it has any I can't see it.

If anyone has any questions, post it.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

Received my 64g Silver (cellular) yesterday and it is perfect. Absolutely none of the reported issues except the vibration on higher volume. I'm with you though, a non-issue based on my usage patterns..

Awesome device and glad I got it. Went from the iP 3 so a huge jump in performance!

3. silveripad, Nov 8, 2014

silveripad thread starter macrumors newbie

So I got the iPad Air 2 today and here is what happened

I guess it could happen to any thin tablet out now, if I wanted to do it.

The one at the other store was bad though.

So I'm not saying something is or isn't bad. Better go to the store and check it.

I can say for a fact, as I type on my iPad now, that I have no issues at all. None. And I'm not one to get lucky with things.

4. Mackinjosh macrumors 6502a

Could have bought it today at Best Buy and got a 50 dollar store credit.

5. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

Did you get an cellular or non-cellular model?

6. silveripad thread starter macrumors newbie

Wifi only.

7. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Way to go with the silver! At first I wanted silver, but then the black looked pretty good now I can't decide.

8. silveripad thread starter macrumors newbie

I was sort of forced to. The other store had only black 16GB. And that was the store with the bad screen distortion thing.

It looks nice. The silver is very toned down. The gold is too flashy.

9. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Awesome! I did go with the gold though :eek: I love the gold. I currently have it in the light pink Smart Cover which I love, except it does show smudges. I've been using my air 2 as a laptop replacement (personal use have to use windows for work) and its been great!

10. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Sounds like user error. Surely there's something you can find to gripe about. If you need help keep reading the forums here. ;)

11. silveripad thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't get this post. Who are you talking to?

12. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Hang around here long enough and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Seriously, congratulations on your purchase. I have the same exact unit and it's without a doubt the finest tablet on the market.

13. silveripad thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea. In the end it is the best! Mine has no issues.

Aside from the screen thing that may affect a small number of people.

14. RebornProphet, Nov 8, 2014

RebornProphet Suspended

Congrats on the new iPad, although not picking faults with your post, the previous Air also runs the aforementioned apps very, very well. Pixelmater and Microsoft Office are not Air 2 exclusives.

Future iOS updates may well add features which truly differentiate the Air 2 from its predecessors.

15. silveripad, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014

silveripad thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. As long as you have iOS 8 or higher you can run Pixelmator on the Air 1.

From what I can see everything is much buttery smooth on the Air 2.

I like the Air 2 better because of the thinness as well. It is much nicer to hold.

16. RebornProphet Suspended

iOS 8 is a dogs dinner. And everything is not "much more" buttery smooth. There IS a slight difference in smoothness although 8.1.1 brings the general UI animations in line between both devices but Safari remains sluggish in places on Air 1 due to the big transparent box for favourites that drops down which in turn slows down the animation where the address in the address bar slides to the left to reveal the full address.

The Air on 7.1.2 is as smooth and zippy as the Air 2 on 8.1, but Apple need to get the finger out and squash the bugs affecting performance on the Air and iPhone 6 Plus (which have been reported here also). There are transparencies galore on Air 1 in iOS 7.1.2, so the issues are nothing more than slack coding on Apple's part. Or they just don't care.

And with the greatest respect, 1mm of thinness is not ground breaking. Going from an iPad 2, 3 or 4 to an Air or Air 2 is noticeable. People making out that that 1mm is a huge difference seem to be making it the biggest deal since sliced bread.

17. silveripad thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe on paper or holding it for a minute it isn't an issue but I've been using it straight almost non stop and the thinness is noticeable and it does make a difference in regular use.

I tried the Air on iOS 7 and I wasn't impressed. I noticed jerkiness even on the App Store. This Air 2 runs perfectly.

18. RebornProphet, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014

RebornProphet Suspended

Yeah, ok.

:rolleyes:

Edit: just noticed you're banned? Guessing that edit to your first reply must have been to remove some comment toward me that I didn't see. Ah well.

19. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yes, hang around here. You'll see that there are some quite annoying things about the Air 2. It's too thin and it's rather obvious that the vibration issue is a real concern for many.

;)

20. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Space Grey is better for you. White looks so awful. :apple:

21. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

The black is good, the grey looks awful and if I get that one I'll probably get a care instead of a cover to cover the back. The silver one looks so pristine though!