Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dave22r

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
Middle of nowhere, MO
My wife's mom is a garage sale regular, and i tell her as a rule to buy anything that says apple on it if she thinks the price is right. So my wife calls me at work telling me her mom got a black laptop about the same size as out whitebook. I'm thinking she scored a blackbook and got pretty excited. Turns out it's an ancient 1997 running OS8 and my excitement level dropped through the floor... Sweet, i have an expensive doorstop!

So i do a little research and it turns out this Powerbook 2400C/180 has a bit of a market... I have the external floppy and a couple of ccords to go with it and it looks like it lived in the case since new.

What is this thing worth? I can't find one on ebay or anywhere else that lists a value. I searched around and see of people desperately looking for one but not much mention about recent prices.

sorry if this may be in the wrong thread, i'm a bit of a noob ant this is the closest i can find:)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
That model has little value today. Lucky to get $25 for it.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
To most people that laptop is worthless. However, to the right buyer, it's a wonderful little machine. If you want to get a good price for it, try somewhere where older Macintosh enthusiasts tend to hang out.

Personally, I would suggest trying the 68k Macintosh Liberation Army, an online forum dedicated to the preservation and use of ancient Macs. Just sign up for an account, and post in the Trading Post. We're a friendly lot over there, and they'll be overjoyed that somebody found a 2400c and wants to make it go away :)

dave22r

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
Middle of nowhere, MO
Cool, thanks for the lead MF17. I'll register when i get off work. Looks like a cool site. Somebody thought it would be fun to bring the whole shop in on Sunday. My yahoo email is blocked at work:(

Any ballpark on how much it would be worth? I did a search there and I found very little pricing info.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Twenty five of my hard earned american dollars.

HA, for $25 I would keep it. Even though browsing the web will be limited in terms of today's web standards it could be useful for very basic web surfing and email. If it runs it's not really a loss for that price.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
plus, you said it is in mint condition.
i would just keep it as a collectors item thing or something.
put it in your car for a backup thing.
if you need directions to somewhere, bam.

i don't know. i've kind of wanted to do that with a netbook.

i think it would just be kind of cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.