So I got Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for my 17 UMBP.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Egil, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Egil macrumors newbie

but it's the System Builder Pack. Is that going to impinge at all on my use of Vista, or will it run just like the normal one? I don't want to get into weird licensing issues, but I couldn't find a 64-bit Vista that wasn't System Builder. Thanks for any insights!

2. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

By system builder do you mean that you got an OEM copy? If so, shouldn't have any problems; I did the same thing with my system. Just remember that OEM copies are tied to one motherboard so you can't reinstall it on another computer or if you need a logic board replacement you're out of luck.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

System Builder's editions of Vista are all I buy. You will have no problems.

5. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

All it means is you can only install it "legally" on the system it was purchased for.

Legally, also no VMs from what ive read a while back.

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Actually it was originally against the License Agreement to use any copy of Vista in a VM, but Microsoft has since amended that.

A system builder's copy of Vista is just a slightly less expensive copy. Microsoft makes no differentiation between it and the retail boxed copy.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Except that retail copies cost more and are more readily available than a OEM copy.

8. waffle911 macrumors regular

And OEM copies don't include tech support, while retail copies do. And it's a lot more than slightly less expensive.