So, I gotta unlock the screen everytime I turn on my iPod??!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by msafi, Oct 1, 2010.

1. msafi macrumors newbie

Can I press the power button to turn off my iPod, then press the power button again to turn it on AND go straight to the last app AND not have to slide the screenlock every friggin time?!

I don't want the home button to wake the iPod, only the power button. And not have to slide the my finger every time.

Is this too much to ask?!

2. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

I can't answer your question, but you could use one of the many "Tap to unlock" (instead of "Slide to unlock") Winterboard themes available on jailbroken devices. You still have to tap, but you won't have to slide your finger.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can turn off the passcode, but I don't think you can disable the lock screen.

4. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

5. skiltrip macrumors 68030

The slide to unlock feature is part of the experience. Embrace it!

6. msafi thread starter macrumors newbie

@TRUCRACKER

Just because you don't find it an inconvenience, everyone else doesn't have to.

It's very inconvenient for me when I'm cooking to have to slide to unlock every time I want to check something.

Yes, I know I can live with it, change my behavior, embrace the limiting experience, or whatever...But that's not why I posted this question. I posted it to get the device to work as I want it to, not the other way around!

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Then set the sleep time to something longer, or set it to not go to sleep. You can change this setting back when you're not cooking.

8. msafi thread starter macrumors newbie

@miles01110

The cooking scenario is only to illustrate. I'm generally annoyed by locking feature. What about when I'm on the treadmill and want to change the podcast or listen to another song, why am I forced to deal with this useless slider?

I'm convinced that it's useless for me so why am I forced to deal with it?

9. Brradley macrumors member

If you simply want to change song/turn up volume or whatever, while on the slide to unlock screen, double tap the home button, and controls popup on the same screen, without you having to slide. :)

10. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Try the "Tap to unlock" mods. Seriously, if you're so annoyed by having to slide your finger, maybe you'll appreciate just having to tap the screen.

11. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

WTF, How lazy can you get?

12. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

I have to use my fingers? On the screen? Moving them? But why? :D

Seriously hilarious thread.

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Because you decided to buy a device from a company that takes the burden of deciding what features you want or don't want away from you.

There are several suggestions to get around this "annoyance"- instead of continuing to complain about it, why don't you try some of them?

14. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Ok, take the cooking scenario, you seriously cannot unlock your iPod with one hand??

15. msafi thread starter macrumors newbie

@Brradley

Doesn't cut it. I usually listen to podcasts and will want to select another podcast and not simply skip to the next one.

I'm not looking for workarounds

@(marc)

I'm using 4.1. I don't know how to jailbreak. I'm afraid I might brick the device or get instability issues or whatever...

@miles01110

The only feature recommended was a tap to unlock theme that requires jailbreaking. (See above)

Is there anything else to try?

@burgundyyears, Ace134blue

*Further useless mac fanboy comments will be ignored.*

16. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It was also suggested (by me) that you turn off the passcode to only have to slide your finger.
    It was also suggested (by me) that you set the sleep time to "Never" so you don't have to deal with unlocking it.
    It was also suggested (by Brradley) that yuo can double tap the home button to bring up music controls without unlocking the screen.

Or, if none of those work you have two choices:
    1) jailbreak
    2) deal with it

17. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Uh huh, well, given how slide to unlock has been perhaps the cornerstone and one of the most iconic parts of the iOS interface since the very first time it was ever presented 3 and a half years ago, please indulge our mirth. You might as well complain how the damn thing uses a touch screen. Oh wait, that's exactly what you are doing. Here I go again. >>> :D

Oh, and I'm not a fanboy, but you are hilarious.

18. msafi thread starter macrumors newbie

I already responded to these suggestions. You didn't have to repeat them...

...Okay, so this settles it for me.

The forced screenlock feature is one thing that sucks about the iPod touch that I'll have to live with.

Thanks for your help, anyway.

19. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Um, the point of it locking is so that it won't wake up in your pocket or change songs when you're trying to listen to one. There simply is no way to disable that, and reasonably so. I realize that in certain situations, it's not ideal, but if it were disabled it would be supremely annoying. Trust me, I have a touchscreen phone and iPT, and my phone used to be tap to unlock, and it would constantly unlock without my telling it to. Getting this angry about it is simply ridiculous. It takes less than half a second to swipe your finger.

20. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Why it's there

Slide to unlock was introduced on the iPhone as a safety feature. If the power switch is inadvertently bumped in your pocket, the screen will stay locked until you deliberately slide your finger. It must be precisely where and in the direction shown within 8 seconds - otherwise it turns off and relocks.

Now, if you didn't have the slide-to-unlock step, the iPod/iPhone would immediately start registering all further -random- touches/bumps in your pocket and act on them (eg, butt-dialling, playing music, deleting emails, etc?)

So that's why it's there.

21. msafi thread starter macrumors newbie

As mentioned in the original post, I don't want to be able to wake up the device by with the home button or touching the screen. I want to disable the slider and have only the power button be able to wake up the device. This would work best for the way I use the device.

22. msafi thread starter macrumors newbie

With the position of the button at the top, it's small size and design, and the amount of pressure it requires to press, I don't see how it can get inadvertently pressed in my pocket or any where else....

23. iLike2Touch macrumors member

You can't get rid of the lock screen. It's there and will be there unless your a smart enough to make a custom OS for it. :rolleyes:

Just set the sleep time to NEVER. Oh wait, too much touching for you. A simple slide is too much for you. :rolleyes:

And I am not a fanboy, just a guy who knows what he's talking about.

Get a Zune.

24. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Nah, the Zune HD has a lock screen you can't get rid of either. :D

Perhaps he is looking for a slightly older-school PMP with physical buttons for everything.

25. MsMerryMac macrumors regular

There have been loads of great responses but personally I couldn't resist adding this one:

I have your solution! Take it back and get an egg timer. Don't like dealing with it while on the treadmill? Get a nano or a shuffle. There. Problem solved.