So I guess it's guaranteed that the new MBP's will come with SSD as standard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by niuniu, Oct 27, 2010.

1. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I mean there's no way they'll have the Airs with SSD's and having the slower drives in the Pro model. Technically it sounds a bit counter-intuitive to the marketing of the Pros.

Is this the commonly accepted train of thought at the moment, or do some people have reason to think Apple could carry on with offering SSD as option only?

2. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

Maybe as an option, but not exclusively. The cost of SSDs and flash storage jumps up as the sizes get bigger, hence why 500GB SSDs cost around $1K.

3. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

apple offers SSD as an option when you customize macbook pro on their site. they will NOT offer it exclusively any time soon. SSDs cost way too much to be sold as the only option on normal size- macbooks

4. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Flash only storage will probably not happen anytime soon. To offer comparable sizes of storage that you get now would mean a large increase in price, or alternatively, greatly decreasing storage capacity to maintain current pricing. Both of these would be unacceptable to most people.

We could however see Apple include 64GB or less of flash memory to give the "instant on" of the MBA, while still having an HDD/SSD for everything else.

5. deeesea macrumors 6502

They won't offer a SSD standard for a while. Not until prices drop a lot more. They can't afford to keep the macbook pros @ the same price tier they have them now if they dropped a SSD in there.

and let's all be serious, apple wouldn't dream of offering 64 or 128 gigs of SSD storage on their pro devices.

I'd say 256-320 is the standard, and there's no way they can offer those kinds of capacities (even with the cheap budget ones) w/o jacking up the prices.

6. badpinoy macrumors regular

As flash storage become cheaper and cheaper it will become the standard. I would say within about 3 - 5 years most portable computers will have the flash storage.

7. DJ-R macrumors regular

The introductory price will always be with an HDD just to catch attention and then options to up into SSD.

Unless they are forced to use SSD due to the body design. That will be standard by then.

8. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

An SSD card + 2.5" user replaceable HD would be nice. Apple would need to find space to fit the card though.

I doubt that they will offer an SSD only solution like the card in the MBA though, that would require a significant redesign of the MBP's innards.

9. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

Although the folks above don't think so, I think sooner rather than later on the pros. Perhaps a hybrid model, but SSD and soon.

10. kopite19 macrumors regular

Maybe.

It makes sense to implement an SSD into the limited spaced 13inch MBP's as it may allow an increase in the logic board which would be the answer to the i5/330M GPU issue plaguing the C2D MBP's.

11. tharris0101 macrumors member

I fully expect standard flash memory for the OS/apps. 64GB probably, a spinny HD and no optical drive. I think the refresh won't happen until the summer.

Of course: All predictions guaranteed to be wrong

12. njgilligan macrumors newbie

Regardless of what Apple decides to do, you can always get an ssd of your choice and install it. Newegg has some good ones for under $200 right now. The hdd that comes with the mbp can be installed in an external case, and would make an excellent portable backup drive.

That's my plan anyway.