so I had an interesting chat with apple about carriers

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rz-jacks, Mar 31, 2012.

1. rz-jacks macrumors member

So I basically asked if there was any difference between the verizon ipad and the at&t hardware wise, and he told me that the AT&T ipad would be better for international travel because it was designed to run on GSM... he then procceded to explain that while the verizon ipad also had that cabability, it woudn't run as fast on a GSM network as the AT&T ipad. sinnce the ATT was designed to run in GSM while the verizon only has it as a back up. Which would explain why apple is selling the AT&T version as their international ipad.

Any thought?

2. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

You can't make a halfway good radio, it's the same radio in both with a separate LTE radio supporting the different bands.....sounds like the apple employee was smoking something like most apple store employees.

3. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Exactly. Someone trying to sound like they know something. :rolleyes:

4. bcaslis macrumors 68020

The employee was full of it. Except for the LTE radios, they have the exact same bands. They will work equally for international travel.

I bought the Verizon one because there is no AT&T LTE where I live and Verizon has the area fully covered with LTE. Best decision I ever made to drop kick the crummy AT&T coverage.

5. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

I thought the Verizon one didn't have a SIM card for you to use over seas?

6. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

It does though and if I read this right you can even use the Verizon one on AT&T network too. Minus the LTE.

7. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Yes, with a PRE-activated ATT sim. You can't activate or access an ATT account on a VZW iPad. Well, you can using the ATT website and not the iPad account manager but you can't stop the plan renewal there.