SO i hated lion at first but now it is growing on me...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Dairyman, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Dairyman macrumors member

disabled natural scrolling... too annoying going back and froth between OS X and WIN 7

the new mail app is the ONLY other upgrade i have noticed

everything else is out of my usage pattern

i wish they would give us a new feel

win 95 xp vista 7

every time you upgrade it feels "fresh" and new not with OS X

at least give us something more than the wallpaper

launchpad and mission control are useless to me i prefer expose

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Really? Because I feel like I'm manning the Enterprise with Lion, whereas previous versions were just...bleh.

If it isn't for you, you're not going to notice the good aspects. Like chick flicks, assuming there are any good aspects.

3. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

4. strubinstein macrumors member

I think its one of those things that some people will find awesome and some just won't. To me, it seems like a what people might have imagined computers would be like in the "future" back when they were in their infancy. Stuff controlled by simple gestures of the hand (assuming you have a trackpad), the whole thing becoming more immersive (full screen), etc. A start in that direction anyway. Look at any movie or video game that takes place in the future. Seems like most of the time they are dragging holograms around with their fingers and what not. Lion is a far cry from that, but I feel like it's meant to be a step in that direction.

5. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I feel quite the opposite. Lion has breathed new life into OS X. Lion now gives my 2 year old MacBook Pro an "instant on" feel to it. I don't have an issue using natural scrolling, neither does my wife nor does my two young kids.

Each Mac OS upgrade causes discomfort for some people and Lion is no different. The beauty of all this, you don't have to upgrade. Snow Leopard or eariler OS X releases are still very usable.

6. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I actually like Lion a lot. It's worked great on my iMac and with the exception of a couple of minor issues on my MBP no complaints at all.

7. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

I'm still umming and aahing about upgrading to Lion. From what I have read, the reactions to the OS are rather mixed, even from ardent Mac fans for whom Apple can usually do no wrong.

I'm not using my MBA for much more than web surfing and email at the moment but may start using it more for other stuff in the near future - I'm seriously wondering whether its worth the hassle.

This thread suggests that some may just be reacting to the change in a negative way but that as you use the OS, it becomes more easy to understand what Apple have done.

One other point. As a recent convert to Mac OS, I wonder whether there is any discernable pattern in terms of the length of time using Macs and enjoyment of Lion? Do those using Mac OS for longer find Lion less of an upgrade than those like me? I suspect they do - I know some think Lion has been designed for people like me who have converted to Mac after using an iPhone.

8. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

I've been using OS X since Panther and think Lion is a great upgrade. Tons of improvements. Some of the them of course still require 3rd-party developers to utilize Lion's new APIs in their apps. For this reason and the fact that Lion can still be a bit buggy in parts, it's not necessarily a bad idea to wait for at least 10.7.2 or 10.7.3 before upgrading.

9. McMack macrumors member

I converted to Mac a few years ago just as Leopard was up to 10.5.4 or so, and I loved it to bits. I'll never forget just how impressed I was by an OS for the first time ever, and what a pleasure it was to use.

Snow Leopard came out, and 10.6.0 just felt wrong in so many little ways. I didn't like it at all for a few days. I chuckled at its "Slow Leopard" tag, but very quickly ended up loving it just as much as Leopard, or more.

Probably as early as 10.6.2 (I think) Snow Leopard was the slickest, snappiest, most user-friendly and rewarding OS evah... I got back to evangelising about OS X at work after going a bit quiet ;)

So my pattern has been to dislike the new OS that displaces the old beloved OS, to feel uneasy and homesick for the old OS, but to settle in over a few weeks and end up loving the new OS.

As for the crack about Lion being too iOS-y, I don't accept that. After a few Terminal tweaks and installing my various little tools, I hardly know it isn't Snow Leopard. See that as a plus or minus as you will.

FYI, my activities on my Mac: I write quite a bit, I do some half-arsed amateur programming, I do a little bit of photo editing, and I do a decent amount of gaming.

The most inconvenienced I've been is finding that Versions rapidly fills up the space in the tiny encrypted .dmg files that I sync between machines, requiring me to move everything to bigger .dmg files. That was pretty irritating.

On the gaming front I discovered that Civilization III was one of the victims of the PowerPC cull. I had to hand-edit the starting script for Dwarf Fortress 2010 to get it working on Lion. Otherwise, the Versions issue excepted, Lion is a pussycat for me.

After all that positivity, I don't like the way VLC expands to full screen when double-clicked. As choppy and ugly as I've ever seen on Mac OS X.