So I have decided to stop waiting for the new iMac 2012 and go with 2011 Model.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ThisIsMe, Apr 21, 2012.

1. ThisIsMe macrumors regular

Yup I'm tired of waiting and it looks like we wont see anything till WWDC. So I might just roll with the base model 27" iMac and a 27" thunderbolt display. Do you guys think its a good idea to buy it from B&H? to save a little money instead of buying it from bestbuy? Looking forward to all the feedback and what would you guys do if your where in my shoes. I recently have no computer just my ipad 3. Huge thanks for the help.

2. rawdawg macrumors 6502

...famous last words... :)

Well, it'll be a bit of a disappointment when the new ones come out. How about buying it from the Apple store refurbished instead?

3. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

pretty sure well see it before WWDC, i don't know where got got that idea, other than the poor track record or DigiTimes guesstimate

this next week or May well get iMacs if i could bet on it i would. ivy coming out, amd 7970m coming , financial call, nearly a year for any iMac love- mbp for bumped in october. + the quad core chips coming first are for desktop.

----------

screw bestbuy, and and any site where you can't customize it. that leaves apple.com and macmall.

4. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

If you have no other computer I see why you can't wait any longer. Not sure about the company you mention but what's the return policy? If you go to Best Buy you can take it back for the next 45 days. That way if the 2012 is released and you have missed out on a cool new feature or boost in speed you don't have to miss out.

5. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

I wasn't waiting either and just bought the 27" iMac from best buy. Now they have them on sale for like $1607 plus I had some reward points I used towards it too.

The one thing I would consider getting it from best buy is that you can return it a lot easier than buying online. For me I bought one and the first one I got was defective. I boxed it back up and took it back to best buy the same day they gave me another brand new one which was fine.

Also like the other poster here said, you can always use their return policy to bring it back if the new iMac turns out to be a better choice for you. Personally I want to stay far away from first releases and stick with the mature previous release. But thats my 2 cents..

6. Logos327 macrumors 6502

Considering early next week will see the launch of two of the major components expected in the next iMac (IB processors and AMD GPUs), don't you think it is wise to wait at least two more weeks?

Patience won't kill you (it'll probably save you money) if there is anyway you can make it that time with just the iPad. That being said, the 2011 iMac is a great machine so if you can't find a way to make the iPad alone work for a couple weeks, go ahead and buy.

7. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

now here is the base apple 27 inch on the refurbished site.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC813LL/A

here is a refurbished display

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC914LL/A

now if you have the discover card and go to the apple site from the discover link you get 5% off

SEE THE THUMBNAIL

Here is some info if the iMac comes out the refurb price will drop more but if you can not wait buy it today. Once it comes to your home you can return it in 2 weeks or less. So you have a small window for returns. In new jersey apple will send fedex right to your house for a free pickup of a return.

Attached Files:

8. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

I think you are about 4 months too late, i got mine in october and was in the same seat as you are right now. I don´t regret my choice but i certainly would if i bought one now. :)

9. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

10. LachlanH macrumors regular

Honestly I don't think there should be much regret.

Ivy Bridge, from what I can gather, will be mainly a boost for Laptops. Not so much in power but in power consumption, and thus battery life. Raw performance is probably only going to be a 10%-15% gain, which would only be noticed in doing cpu intensive tasks. I bet 90% of the iMac's out there never max out their CPU's for more than a few seconds at a time.

The only thing that might cause regret is the GPU upgrade expected in the 2012. But really, this would only be an issue if you plan to play games on it.

11. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Or maybe its because you get more performance per dollar and a better resale value. Those things count too. :)

12. Imaginethe macrumors regular

I nearly did the same this week. I saw a refurbed 27inch base for £1100 on Apples site, but held off. Partly because of a hopeful impending upgrade, and the fact they don't come in 'proper' Apple boxes.

I am ashamed of the part, and am now lamenting over what I have become. :rolleyes:

13. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

At this stage, buying a new one would be a waste of money. The next gen ones will probably release with the same price levels and you'd regret not getting the best value. If you must get an iMac I would seriously consider refurbished, then at least you've saved money.

14. KingJosh macrumors 6502

KingJosh