So I have had an HTC One a few days (I normally use a Galaxy)

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by mclld, Jul 19, 2013.

1. mclld macrumors 68000

While it is nice I still prefer the Galaxy and Samsung phones. I am not one of these people who obsess and are concerned with the look of the hardware. Having brushed aluminum doesn't automatically mean better imo, just a personal preference. I do like Touchwiz but I also think what HTC is doing with Sense on this is pretty nice as well. The software is also a non issue for me since I can root/rom or use launchers.

Having said that though I still like the GS4 better and honestly would even take the GS3 over this. I do not like the power button placement and the no menu button is a negative to me. I also am rough with my phones and this thing would be destroyed in no time by me when I drop my galaxy the battery door pops off and absorbs most of the shock.

2. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I had the One and now have the S4 (I had the S3 from launch day before that) and I can say I agree with you. Don't take that as me bashing the One...it's an absolutely fantastic piece of tech, without a doubt. And I, like you, don't really care about the materials used in the making of a phone. Plastic is fine with me. Sure, the "premium" materials are nice and give a phone a nice weight in the hand, but I prefer the ability to use a micro SD card and have a removable battery.

It's been beaten to death, but the camera is the weakest spot on the One. Sure, it CAN take some great pictures, but it's hit and miss and I don't like having to fiddle with settings on my cell camera the way I would on my DSLR. The shooter on the One is just sub-par by today's standards.

I will say that I love Sense 5 and HTC did a fantastic job with it. TouchWiz is fine, but I understand why some people hate it. It doesn't really bother me.

Both phones are great, no doubt about it.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

We're all entitled to a preference, but good on you OP for trying something different :) the S4 is a lovely phone, and as you don't mind Touchwiz, definetly return the One before your time is up and get an S4 ....

One thing of note is that the Menu button thing will be solved with 4.2.2 but you might not get that update before your returns period is up....

----------

Yep.....

My only real gripe with it, and its one that annoys me because had it been given a 13mp standard camera it would be near perfect handset for me.... :(

4. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

I'm a long time HTC user currently using a One X and S4. My wife also has the HTC One so I've had ample opportunity to play with it extensively. IMO, the S4 is a better device, a lot of people harp on the build quality but the device really does have a premium feel to it, much better than my One X feels that's for sure. Touchwiz still looks like it was designed in a crayola factory but all the S-wiz features more than make up for it. The almost bezel free display was the deciding factor for me and it feels so good to be able to pop an sd card back in my phone. I still had a 32gb card from my old HTC Inspire that works flawlessly. Maybe the HTC One Mega might sway me back but as far as I'm concerned, Samsung hit it out the ballpark with the S4.

5. mclld thread starter macrumors 68000

I didn't get it on contract. I buy and sell electronics and other things on the side and actually got this for not being in it much. I bought a 4s 16 gig for $200 and traded it for a Note 2 which I then traded for this. I have it listed on swappa and numerous other places.

As far as the camera, that is a non issue for me on a cell phone. Never in a million years would I rely on a cell phone for pics of something I truly care enough to take pics of. I cringe when i see people using a cell phone for such things. I can see why most people a cell phone is good enough but not for me.

6. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I adored my HTC One, but I ultimately went back to my Note 2 yesterday. The One has better build materials, front camera, and audio. But the Note has a better screen (in my opinion, due to size and colors), better battery life, better main camera, micro SD expansion, and the S Pen is just fun to doodle out ideas with.

7. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

Those were my experiences too.....
    I hated the power button placement. Hated it did not have a physical home button. Sense is not very intuitive to me. The S4 and the IP5 have been the 2 best phones I have had so far.....and I have had about 5 phones in the last year. But I am sure others feel the exact OPPOSITE....so it is really personal preferences.
    The camera on the S4 is awesome!

8. rockitdog macrumors 68020

The HTC is a great phone for about a week as we're seeing. Then the reality kicks in and the fun wears off. I think short term the One is a fun phone but for the long haul the S4 is a better choice for most people.

9. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

10. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

A bit of an over generalization :rolleyes: You prefer the S4. We're happy for you. Reading your other posts, I very much doubt you speak for "most people".

11. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I had it for 2 or 3 days and ended up giving it to my brother and getting an S4. The power button placement was a deal breaker for me unfortunately and when it came down to the software I planned on using CM on both so that wasn't a major factor for me.

I'm kind of tempted to get the One Mini but first I want to see how the battery life is on that and how fast it gets CM and whether it works well on it or not.

12. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Looking at sales numbers, I think he does speak for "most people"

13. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Reading through posts here and over at android central I think I'm pretty close! I've seen many more people saying they returned the One for the S4 than the other way around.

14. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

Oh that's right. All of those S4 sales were to customers who returned their One's. :rolleyes: Is it all/many/some? Who the **** knows.

I've read many of those same threads and you may be right. I just thought it was a poor generalization made from purely anecdotal evidence.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The people who hover on forums all day long are not the general public however ;) nor likely to be indicative of.....

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I wish more people understood this.

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Sadly a high proportion of those folks who do linger on forums tend it seems to have a smaller percentage of 'common sense' it seems (though conversely it often seems they have a higher percentage of 'self entitlement' ).. ;)

Hence the assumption they speak for 'the masses' ....

With around 16-20 million users combined (based on forecast and prior sales numbers), both the HTC One and the Galaxy S4 have a lot more sales to make before they EVER really become able to represent 'the real masses' in this world.

Sadly the real masses in this world will never be able to afford either device, though its also likely these devices are not exactly on their priority lists in life.

#firstworldproblems X #nerdsontheinternet = #not-real-life

18. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Had the HTC One for 18 hours. Power button was the dealbreaker. Got the S4.

19. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

It's really sad that something like the power button is pushing away people like you and me.

20. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Complete opposite experience. I own both phones and the htc one is the far better device IMO. Button placement is my only real gripe with the device but when you compare that to the AWFUL, ugly, and laggy touchwiz UI and the cheap build materials of the S4 I don't even really think its close.

21. Fernandez21 macrumors 68040

Fernandez21

Ha, that's awesome. I'm going to steal that.

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You're welcome :)

23. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I bought the One twice, hoping that it's pros would outweigh this MASSIVE con, but it didn't. Loving the position of the power button, and the physical home button, on my Note 2!

24. Smithwicks macrumors regular

Use a custom kernel with sweep2wake. Problem solved.

25. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

When I tried that it wasn't working that good. It worked but not every time I swiped so it wasn't exactly a flawless solution. This was a few months ago so it could have been fixed by now.

And this might be a solution for people who don't mind tinkering like us but we're a minority.

----------

My S4 is a bit too big for me so I wouldn't go anywhere near a Note 2 :p