So I just got a MacBook Pro Retina 2 days ago and yesterday spilled water on it.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kacper244, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kacper244 macrumors newbie

Yeah I do have a bad luck! I got a Retina MacBook Pro 13" 2 days ago. Yesterday at night I was holding a cup of apple juice in my hand and the glass slipped out of my hand and hit the desk. The juice went flying in the air and a little of it hit my MacBook keyboard. Most of the juice spilled on the desk. I quickly turned it around and powered it off. I ran to the kitchen and dried it out with a cloth. (It was turned around the whole time). I went to my room and sit it down on my bed. Then when I was going to bed I moved it over on my desk on a towel. It dried for 12 hours. I will let it dry till tomorrow morning and pray it works! My question is: What if it doesn't work? What should I do? Will Apple help? I'm still in the 14 day return policy.

2. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Why would Apple help? You damaged it.

I'm still surprised when people make these threads but they seem to come up all the time.

3. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

Your subject line says water, but apple juice is not water. Water's bad enough, but 100% of water can evaporate, which isn't the case for other liquids.

Given that, I might advise against starting it up, even if you think it's "dry." You're begging for trouble. Instead, I would visit Apple or an authorized repair center, explain what you did, and ask what they'd charge to open it up and clean it with an appropriate cleaning agent. The odds aren't in your favor, but you might have a chance—especially if there's sugary junk stuck to any conductive areas.

As a footnote, you mentioned being inside your 14 day window. I hope you aren't considering trying to take it back and claim that it didn't work. Even putting ethics aside, one look inside the case will confirm to any technician exactly what you did.

4. Love4ndpeace macrumors newbie

With your carelessness, I don't think you deserve to own it.

5. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

That is not fair. Accidents happen even to the most careful of us.

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

This is exactly why insurance is way better than apple care but both together are the best.

7. ano0oj macrumors 6502

lol that's why I dont typically have open containers near my computers, always use bottles man!

8. Windows&Apple macrumors regular

If I was in your case, I'd go to the Apple store, and return it. Don't look panicked, just go up and return it. I know it's not ethical and this is probably plan Z, but it's only 2 days old, chances are they won't open it up and they'll take it back no questions asks.

And if you're worried about the next guy getting an Apple Juice Pro, don't be. All returns are sent out and repaired for any damage; case, logic board, CPU, whatever the issue is they'll fix it and sell it as a refurb.

Again, THIS IS PLAN Z. ONLY DO THIS IF YOU'RE DESPERATE.

9. Jah2013 macrumors newbie

Im kinda carefull with any kind of liquid next to a notebook. I kinda stopped caring with my 27" iMac.

To get an image of what happened: how much of the liquid actually got into the machine and in which locations ? If it was more than 2-3 drops I would not turn it on before a professional cleaning took place. Rather pay 200$ than get an $1000 damage.

10. ano0oj macrumors 6502

don't do this at all. be an honest person and pay for your mistakes, don't let someone else pay

11. Windows&Apple macrumors regular

I'm not telling him to sell his computer online, in which case someone will be paying for his mistakes. I'm telling him to return it and get a new one. Returning it doesn't affect anyone except Apple, and frankly, I could care less if they lose a few logic boards or not, we're paying a premium on these machines and I'm sure they already made their money back when the OP bought the computer. They won't be losing money, someone will get a perfectly working refurb MBP, and the OP will get a new machine.

It's a win-win situation.

12. koban4max macrumors 68000

i won't lie..if that was my situation..i would do it...Unethical..yes...desperate enough to do it? yes...

13. maplingstorie macrumors 6502

Yea. Just return it. accidents are a b****

14. sabbyp macrumors regular

If you return it, they'll know.

Take responsibility for your mistake and tell them what happened, they might take mercy on you and clean it for free.

15. Jah2013 macrumors newbie

I dont agree with u. I hate when people think 'company is rich, they can take it'. I am selling stuff in europe and here the tax situation on returns is horrible. They company got to pay the 19% no matter if people returned it or ever paid for it. State only cares about what got billed.. This can become a loss of 4-500 € easily on every fully functional return.

They would then have a checkup of the hardware and if all is fine, it will be put on refurb. If not, work starts ... Easily another 400 € internal costs to test all, replace damaged mainboard / ssd / memory / battery / whatever. Also, they will not get the original price from whoever buys the refurb.. All this can add up easily and the damage to the company would be even more than to him (given that it possible to clean/repair). Dont mind if its :apple: or a company in bakrupcy, when ur running a company and see everybody is thinking u could take the damage, you get angry. Employee's call in sick "cuz ur rich", clients damage stuff in ur stores and hide it "cuz ur rich", people steal "cuz ur rich" and finally some may try to hide damages in returns. I could imagine that Apple wouldnt charge u for the damage in a return, even when technicians find out, However, I would ask you to NOT DO THIS unless you cant afford to fix it yourself. My 2 cents on it.

16. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

Actually, they won't know. Apple stores NEVER turn on the computer, neither do they closely inspect the hardware, if its within the 14-day return policy.

17. Windows&Apple macrumors regular

The thing is; I've return machines, not with water damage, I've return it over other reasons, track pads, dead pixels and such, but not once did they open it up and make me wait 45 minutes. An average Apple Store has at least 20 machines that need repairing, they aren't going to open up a 2 day old machine to check for Apple Juice. You'll walk you with your money or a new machine, 99% sure of it.

----------

Sorry to hear it, but I'm sure the fee you pay is not because western societies return a lot. You aren't paying for our mistakes, you're probably paying some bs fee to make more money, or to pay for the shipping.

And they are rich! They sued Samsung for $1,000,000,000 just because the S3 looked like the iPhone. Apple is trying to control the market and by doing that, it controls and limits innovation and I think that's more unethical than someone returning a damaged Macbook Pro.

18. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Contact your homeowners insurance, see if it covers your computer.

Apple will eventually turn it on and notice the water sensors are tripped and it's full of orange juice residue. I'm sure they'll be happy to contact you about payment for the device you damaged through your own carelessness.

19. Windows&Apple macrumors regular

Homeowners insurance only pays if someone broke in and spilled apple juice on it. And once he's out of the store with a new Mac, he's home free. Now there is a chance they plug it into their system to check for water damage, not sure if the system is capable of that, but they wouldn't do that I assume, just drain the battery and pretend like you have to be somewhere soon, make them rush you out a new one and just leave. They won't want to keep you waiting because you might cause a scene.

20. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

dang dude.. you might wanna change your username with that kind of attitude. accidents happen. give the op some slack.

21. Jah2013 macrumors newbie

If you are thinking on cheating sb, there is not reason to cheat an insurance. Go for apple rig away then.

- - - - -
    Just because somebody IS rich, does that give him the right to get a worse deal than somebody who is not ? Its an ethical question, not one of 'will :apple: go bankrupt?'

22. SusanK macrumors 68000

My MBA return was carefully checked at the Genius Bar

I returned a MBA in 2011 3 days after purchase. The MBA would not connect to my home WiFi. I use Airport Extreme.

I was sent to the Genius Bar with the MBA. A genius carefully checked the computer for defects or damage.

There was no damage caused by me. The unit had WiFi issues. Nothing more. The Genius wanted me to take a replacement. I took a refund. At that time there were many users with WIFi issues and didn't want that model.

The return was done after the computer was checked. I would not rely on the computer not being checked if you decide to return.

23. coys67 macrumors newbie

Not true,i returned my Macbook last week to the Apple store within the 14 day period and the salesman powered the machine up to check the serial number against my receipt.

24. marc55, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013

marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Hey, maybe Apple will do something to help, after all it was "Apple" juice that damaged it!

Too bad you didn't buy that Square Trade plan for damage & spills.

In all seriousness, I'm sorry you ruined a nice new rMBP, but the key here is "You" spilled the juice, and if you are honest with them, you never know; they might help you out in some way.

25. Windows&Apple macrumors regular

I would try to return it. If you want to better your chances, return it through retail store. Or call Apple Care and tell them you bought a computer and the track pad has issues, and than say the retail store didn't have the model in stock. Ask them to ship you a new one while you send this one off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.