So i just got a new MP and want to game

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fedeboraxx, Aug 29, 2010.

1. fedeboraxx macrumors newbie

hey guys

never been a huge gamer, but just got a new 8 core MP and thought i'd give it a go. any recommendations? any genre welcome, whatever you think is tops

thanks

2. jeanlain macrumors 65816

Download Steam, there's a couple of game demos available on the Mac. Mostly first person shooters.

3. Nordichund macrumors 6502

I would (have done on mine) install Windows7 using Bootcamp and play the games from there. I have Starcradt 2 at the moment which runs on both OSx and Windows. The performance is a lot better when I use Windows to play it on my Mac Pro.

As has been said on these forums countless times most of the games are first and foremost designed to run on Windows, then adapted for OS X.

Congratulations with your new machine by the way.

4. davelanger macrumors 6502a

World of Warcraft, Dragon Age and Torch light.

5. studiox macrumors regular

If you want to play from OSX -> Steam (if you don't want to spend money)
    If you want to play from OSX -> CoD (if you want to spend money)

If you want to play from Windows -> Download demos from Fileplanet.com

6. BrenMyster macrumors member

just playing thu Metro 2033 on my new 3.33, everything is on max and it runs like a dream :) wicked games as well :)

7. mism macrumors member

What do you want to play, FPS, casual, MMO, multiplayer?

Like others have said the recently released Steam for Mac give access to a number of great games.

Well worth checking out are Portal and Half Life 2, available separately or in 'The Orange Box' bundle where you also get Team Fortress 2. You really can't go wrong with that lot, as long as you like playing first person games.

I installed Windows 7 last week to play Crysis. After a few niggles (surprisingly to do with the game not the OS) its running a treat, great game too.
    If you're serious about playing games then Windows is the way to go. If you can't be bothered and don't want to spend £90 on Windows then you've still got lots of games via Steam plus World of Warcraft, Eve and Starcraft all available for Mac.

8. fedeboraxx thread starter macrumors newbie

nice one, thanks a lot for the responses. ill give this "steam" deal a try then. growing up i really enjoyed kings quest, space quest, etc. is there any kind of game out there that feels similar, albeit in a 2010 way?

9. mism macrumors member

The 'Adventure Game' is a genre that has really evolved and diversified. Perhaps check out Tales of Monkey Island and Machinarium, both available for Mac on Steam.

10. Vylen macrumors 65816

11. ZennZero macrumors member

I loved the old Sierra* and Lucasarts adventure games as well. Unfortunately, the venerable point-n-click genre is not as popular as it once was, but it has recently experienced a resurgence in the indie realm. Check out Telltale Games - they have probably the biggest presence in that realm (publishers of Tales of Monkey Island, Sam and Max, etc.). Plus they are pretty mac-friendly.

Speaking of Monkey Island, the first two games have been remade in HD and are published by Lucasarts.

*My favorite was the Quest for Glory series... Long dead now.