So, I just got my iPhone. And god, this device.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Adutrumque, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

Such a beauty. It's a jewel indeed. The precision. The width. The height. Everything makes sense.

I have waited so long for this. For me, coming from the 3G, this is just fantastic.
    I can't describe the feeling of peeling the phone out of its small, precious box.

Its a wonderful feeling, however.

Now, I just have some concerns regarding the battery.
    I just, seconds ago, started charging the phone. For how long should I wait til I disconnect it from charging?

And, for the record: No scratches whatsoever. It's amazing. People on the forums were blasting out with "oh, this phone looks smashed.. Its so ugly with the scratches" but , Oboy, I just wanna tell you the opposite. It's PERFECT. In E V E R Y way.

I just had to write it off.
    Its an amazing device.

2. LastZion macrumors 6502a

I think there are 12 open threads on the battery...

Let it drain down and turn its self off, then let it charge completely Powered off (manually do this) Then hopefully you will have some good results.

Post a screen shot of your usage and see how you compare.

Enjoy, it is a BEAUT!!

3. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

You do not need to do anything to your battery. Use it till you sleep and put it on the charger. Repeat daily.

Can you explain how the new height of the iPhone 5 "makes sense"?

4. kevroc macrumors 6502

Mine took 2 1/2 hours to go from 0 to 100%, but for the first few charges I would leave it on the charger at least 3-4 hours if possible.

5. richpuer macrumors 6502

grats, phone is sick eff the scuffs, purple camera, dings, and battery drain. its just the best phone there is and ever was made

6. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

My battery was ok before, then I fully drained it and charged it to full and I got this with moderate usage.

Attached Files:

7. PerPlekz macrumors member

as i guy who looks for gripes in everything, it is a beauty

thanks for sharing your love for the device. it is very welcome here on the boards

8. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

Love my iPhone 5 too. No scuffs, maps works fine for me, and the thing is FAST. I don't think that can be emphasized enough and I don't think it's being noticed above all the noise. It's almost like it's the new cool thing to bag on Apple. Are they without fault, heavens no, but the level of scrutiny is almost absurd. Oh well, I'm loving it and again, the speed is remarkable, can't wait to see what devs have in store for this beauty.

----------

I didn't think there were any 8GB iP5's? :confused:

EDIT: NM, that's iCloud. :)

9. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

[​IMG]

10. kalexn macrumors 6502

It doesn't say it is an 8GB. You are correct in thinking that there are none, smallest is 16GB.

Are you looking at the usage picture? That is his iCloud specs of 5 GB :)

11. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

I just laid hands on my friends iphone5. it is frickin outstanding! i love "The Look of it, the Taste of it, the Smell of it, the texture!"

the weight is perfect. balance is perfect.

12. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

13. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Coming from a 3G?! My God I assume this is a dream come true for you.

15. Sjf73 macrumors member

You beat me to it Jessica!

16. Adutrumque thread starter macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

It's a balance. Its just pure, infusing logic.

----------

It should've been; god... this device :D

----------

Oh yes it is ^^

----------

Thank you - I will do as you command :D

17. lamenramen macrumors regular

Coming from the iphone 4, the iphone 5 is absolutely amazing. Esp the speed.

I'm of the position that I buy the product that I like the most . I have no loyalty to Apple. In fact, I actively try the other side and have used many Android phones. I'm well past the point where if I liked Android, I would know. I'm well aware that Android has many many great features. But for some reason when I go back to the iPHone it feels like home, missing features and all.

I remain in firm belief that the picky user will choose the iPhone. Being a picky user is not a badge of honor. I think it's more the way that we're created or raised or whatever. No matter how we arrived, the iPhone 5 is just a superior device. I've seen the S3 and One X and they're fine devices. But not the best, and a distant second best to me. I would rather have the 2 yr old iPhone 4.

It comes down to form factor, battery life, camera quality (yes, the iPhone 4's is still better than the One X's hyped camera). I can't type on the keyboard on Android phones, despite them having bigger keys. No idea why. But 5 months should have been ample time to get used to it. One-handed use. No physical home button on Android. So you're constnatly hitting the back button, etc. These are no different than the complaints of others. My 2 cents is that these complaints about Android are core user experience issues that they have not solved nor addressed. Apple has many features that Android lacks, but I surprised myself when I realized that in fact I valued the core experience more than added features. I curse Apple when such basic functionality doesn't exist,but I have found myself cursing Android more when an alarm goes off and the app crashes, all with a friendly ad banner fully functional and my only recourse is to power down the phone. I curse it when I keep taking myself out of an app by hitting the back button. And so forth.

Again I state that I do not love Apple nor their heavy handed policies. But they keep making the best smartphones. And the fact that you never, ever see any lines forming for any Android phones should prove it.

I swear that Samsung doesn't know what they are doing. They're putting cheap quality materials in their phones to save a buck. If they wanted to compete, they would put in the best screens that they can. As opposed to spending money on marketing the hogwash that a pentile matrix is every bit as clear as a regular RGB stripe display. Customers know shortcuts when they see it. And if Samsung had used the best screen they could get, the best materials that they could find, consumers would pay for it. As Apple can attest, consumers are willing to pay for an iPhone b/c they know quality when they see it. I firmly believe that this extends across socioecnomic lines. Any poor person who wants an iPhone will eventually get one. I've not seen any less # of iPhones in the poorer parts of town. Building the best possible phone is the way towards the top.

18. JCfromTB macrumors member

I've had mine for just about 2 days and so far I am very impressed. Of course, coming from a Samsung device, the bar was low.

Fearing the scratches, I put an Otter Box Commuter on it before leaving the store. I've had no issues with data or wifi. Battery life is good, about what I expected.

I do notice that the Apple apps are more refined than Android. The same app from Android will have more functionality on the iPhone. Definate upgrade.

I have charged my battery at night without letting it drain all the way. Is it too late to let it run completely out and then recharge to "condition" the usage?

19. CanadaEh macrumors regular

20. Adutrumque thread starter macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

Great piece of post right there. Creds.

21. radiologyman macrumors 6502

Yes, it is. Appreciate it more with every passing day. Screen quality alone is worth using it. It's a real beauty.

22. Marco123 macrumors 6502a

Most beautiful phone I've ever owned.
    I really hope they continue with the 5S being more powerful but same design, I can't see myself ever getting bored looking at it.

23. Noriko macrumors newbie

Im coming from a SonyEricsson P1i on Symbian. This phone IS a big upgrade for me.

Long time Apple product user, just my first iPhone.

24. Adutrumque thread starter macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

Is that mocking or what? :D