So I just RESERVED! a Space Grey 32gb iPhone 5S UPDATE FAIL!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by renosausage, Sep 16, 2013.

1. renosausage, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

renosausage macrumors regular

I live in a very small town in NC, in fact my county is considered the 3rd poorest county in the US.

Thankfully, there happens to be an Apple Store sort of near by. About 3hrs North of me.

I had plans of leaving early Friday morning to stand in line and get the new iPhone 5S.

But while I was picking up some milk this evening I decided to drop by and check out what news my local Verizon store would have about the new iPhone 5S.

Now keep in mind that this Verizon store is about the size of a Mall Bathroom. There is only one desk and all the phones sit on both sides of the wall. There is no display in the middle of the floor.

I asked about the iPhone 5S and to my amazement, the representative told me they would be getting four of them tomorrow but could not sell them until Friday.

So she let me reserve one to pick up on Friday morning :)

I am so happy and also very amazed that Apple is able to ship out millions of phones across the nation and even to a remote Verizon Store in my little town down here in Southern North Carolina.

You Go Apple!!! :apple:

2. swish2351 macrumors 6502

I just called a authorized reseller that specializes in Verizon, they were taking pre orders. He even said he would call me thursday or friday morning when the iPhone (5S 16GB Space Gray) came in so I could come pick it up! I'm very excited!

3. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I wish you the best of luck. I assume this was an authorized reseller and not a corporate Verizon store. I hope they have a phone for you.

4. swish2351 macrumors 6502

Yes it has to be, corporate Verizon are not allowed to reserve them, but authorized resellers are!

5. renosausage thread starter macrumors regular

Well I actually just remembered that last year my cousin wanted to go to the Apple Store for the iPhone 5 on opening day, but we decided not to go.

Then around 11am that same day we decided to walk into this same Verizon Store and see what they have.

Sure enough they had a couple iPhone 5's and he bought one with no issues.

6. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

Not sure if you made it sound dramastic but your place seems poorer than a third world country where I originated.

And yes, I've been to the US (New York, Chicago, Boston, LA, and some small towns in cali).

7. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Yeah. That's what I was thinking.

8. CEmajr, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

CEmajr macrumors 601

That's great. I'm hoping that they're not all sold on Friday by the time I'm off work and able to go to the Apple Store and pick one up. Never thought about trying a third party retailer, that might be a good idea. Probably ha e a hard time finding one around here though. They all seem to be corporate around Charlotte.

9. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Woohoo! Go NC! I go to UNC.

10. TechnicallyTee macrumors demi-god

TechnicallyTee

11. wxman2003 Suspended

I remember when the 5 came out and people tried doing the same thing with the non corporate verizon stores, radio shack, wal mart, etc and people were told that these stores would hold a phone for them as they were expecting a supply. Lo and behold, most of the non corporate stores did not get their expected supply for almost 2 weeks and the customers were not too happy. My guess is that the store you went to will not see any 5s phones but perhaps a few 5c phones instead. The corporate stores will get the Lions share of opening day phones.

12. user-name-here macrumors 65816

ARGH! I'm so jealous! ;)

Happy for you though, glad you don't have to worry like the rest of us mate.

13. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Trust and Verify!!

If you can put your hands on the phone in your store, either Wed or Thurs, then you are a lucky guy. IF they tell you it's coming in first thing on Friday morning, drive to the Apple store. Post your success or failure.

14. renosausage thread starter macrumors regular

The town is called Pembroke

Its about 1 hour South of Fort Bragg

Its a pretty nice town, we have a large population of Lumbee Indians here.

The great thing about it, is we have The University of North Carolina at Pembroke right in the middle of the town.

Its the only thing that gives us a decent economy

15. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I had similar at a local Radio Shack where they weren't taking pre orders but maintaining a list of who came first

16. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

A lot of small locations do things others wouldnt,

17. TechnicallyTee macrumors demi-god

TechnicallyTee

Of course I know exactly where that is! Had a few friends go to Pembroke.

18. renosausage thread starter macrumors regular

So I stayed up last night and had the opportunity to order a 32gb iPhone 5s from the Apple Online Store with 1-3 day shipping.

Well I decided not to since my local Verizon store said that they would have a shipment in the night before.

Well I went there and guess what? They didn't!!!

I was gonna go home, but I decided to go ahead and have Verizon order for me.

Everything thing was going good, but unfortunately it took them 45mins to get everything done. They really had no idea what was going on or even how to work the system.

In the end my order totaled to $467!!!

So I asked "Why is it this much?" The Rep said "Thats just how much it costs!"

Obviously it doesn't, so I kept pushing him and finally another representative showed up to help.

So basically this guy was giving me some accessory package that I clearly told him I did not want, but he persisted that I must get the package in order to get the phone.

Now that doesn't make any sense. So finally I decided to leave, but the rep said I had no choice but to buy from them since he had already activated my contract.

So I threaten to call Verizon and they finally decided to remove the package and let me order the darn phone.

I have no idea when it will come in. They didn't know and could not tell me.

I WISH I WOULD HAVE JUST ORDERED FROM APPLE!!!

19. JPark macrumors 6502a

Sheesh. That sucks. What a crummy business!