So I just signed up for the iPhone 3G at O2... or maybe not....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by I am Sampson, Jun 26, 2008.

1. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

Note for the easily excited: I'm pretty sure I didn't actually sign up in the way the rumor suggests we can from July 1st, hence the "or maybe not" in the title.

So I went into my local O2 store today to ask what sort of ID I need to bring along when I sign up, and thought I may as well ask if they knew anything about signing up for the iPhone early.
    They said they did and I could do it right now! They also said they were doing this so that on the 11th things would be sped up.
    Quite surprised, I agreed, was sat down at a computer and my details taken.
    However, I don't think this is the real thing, as it was far far to quick. Basically I only had my name, address, and debit card details (proof of ID) taken. That was it. Nothing else at all. It was not done on an iPhone specific database (I watched) and I certainly was not asked what contract options I wanted or was given any code at all.
    Once my ID was taken it took a few seconds and said "accepted" the lady then suspended the order.

I can't see this really saved much time, and can't imagine its really a credit check either as they didn't ask me contract details so don't know how much to check I can "borrow" (i.e. can I afford x contract for 18 months), all it did was check I am who I say I am.

Anyway, maybe this will be beneficial to me, I just hope its somehow not a detriment!
    I think I'll try again after the 1st if others report getting further through the process than me.

2. drpellypo macrumors 6502

I dunno - credit checks are pretty instant. They only need your name and address.

3. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

This is standard... Suspending orders is just one of the things that stores are able to do - it's not iphone specific.

What it basically means is they have your account details and your credit check is done, so when you get the iphone on the 11th it'll be much faster to finish the transaction. It doesn't mean you've reserved a phone or anything.

4. I am Sampson thread starter macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

Aye, I understand it doesn't mean I've reserved one, I know that would have been true if it was the "real" rumored pre-signup thing, but I expected to be asked what contract options I wanted and to have all my direct debit details and basically everything taken. SO on the 11th I do nothing but walk in and pick the iphone I want.
    I'd assumed that was the point, to avoid sign ups. As it is, I've only save 1-2 mins time max. Still be there for ages picking contracts/setting up direct debits blah blah blah and thus still making long queues.
    Ah well, its not big deal at all, just weird.

5. drpellypo macrumors 6502

Perhaps they reckon there's going to be no queues!

6. sara123456 macrumors member

I just really can't see there being queues most people that want a contract phone have one whats the odds of there contract running out just before the 11th of July and I can't see many people wanting to pay two contract. Most of the people getting the Iphone will be people who have already got the old one me think :) Not long to wait until we will all find out anyway.

7. Lummi macrumors newbie

Me To. Just been in to O2 this afternoon fearing our credit rating would let me down.
    Just simply showed my interest in the 3G iphone & i asked if she would do a credit check to give me an idea which method (Contract or PayG) I would take.
    After a few minutes checking i am who I say I am etc the system approved me with the restriction that I could not use the iphone abroad for the 1st 3 months.
    All fine with me I fully expected to be declined knowing our poor CR.
    So this has put me on there system I am told I should be able to fast track that part on the 11th @ 7.02am. Just have to hope they do not run out....

8. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

I wonder if you would be able to sign up to the apple store in your area? :confused: Over here in U.S., no sign up for anything, even at AT&T stores.:mad: But maybe I could go to an AT&T store and prequalify of some kind to see if I will pass credit check so I don't have to worry when I go in line for Iphone on launch day? whaddya think? :confused:

9. Lummi macrumors newbie

I figure we would be in the same boat as everybody else? as from what I have read Apple stores will most likely only offer the PayG iphone.
    Unfortunately our closest :apple: store is 2 hours away else I would go ask.
    Edit: But yes if like me you fear the credit check may let you down why not go find out. I guess they can do this any time as you could be signing up for any phone contract.

10. I am Sampson thread starter macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

You say the system said you could not use the iPhone abroad for the 1st 3 months. Did it actually say the iPhone? If so you had a more in depth thing than me
    The system literally knows nothing about my interest other than my name, address and debit card (proof of ID). At no point was it told this was anything to do with the iPhone.

11. Lummi macrumors newbie

Well i assume even though I was only in the O2 store for the iphone my restriction would apply to any phone / contract to me with O2.
    Still the purpose of my visit was to see if there was going to be a problem getting the contract. I came away satisfied that I could go back in on the 11th I'll be in there to pay & sign :D