Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

venividivigor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
So I was supposed to get a free replacement for my iPhone since the mute switch was defective but I never got around to doing that. Last night I just smashed my iPhone, will they still cover me for free?

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
did you already have a genius bar appointment? why didn't you get it replaced then?

call applecare and explain what happened before you go to a store.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
well thats a good dose of unlucky.....

try anyway.
if it doesnt work, pay the screen replacement fee....... $179??
then complain about the mute switch. and hopefully theyll get you your new phone.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
It doesn't sound like he intended to smash his phone. It sounds like he had planned to get the mute switch replaced and last night he accidentally smashed the screen.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Let's see now..

1. Had a switch issue and to be replaced...but (Never got around to it)

2. Smashed phone and now wants to get around to it.

How would one Smash a phone ? Pictures please. Drop yes, but SMASH ?

Seems fishy to me. And no AppleCare Plus for accidental insurance either, just the standard one year normal warranty..

venividivigor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Well luckily I filmed the my mute switch going off on its own before it got smashed. Showed it to Apple, and they think it's a software related thing. Smh. Such BS. had to end up paying 80$ Since they think my mute switch is going off because of lots of crashed apps.. So I didn't qualify for a free replacement.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:

venividivigor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Let's see now..

1. Had a switch issue and to be replaced...but (Never got around to it)

2. Smashed phone and now wants to get around to it.

How would one Smash a phone ? Pictures please. Drop yes, but SMASH ?

Seems fishy to me. And no AppleCare Plus for accidental insurance either, just the standard one year normal warranty..

I'm not ****ing around, I was filming the light show of a rave and a dancer knocked my phone off my hands

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    885 KB · Views: 210

venividivigor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
did you already have a genius bar appointment? why didn't you get it replaced then?

call applecare and explain what happened before you go to a store.

I didn't want the hassle of dealing of turning off find my iPhone, going to the Apple Store, restoring my phone, re download iOS 8.3, register my phone, inputting my credit cards again to Apple pay, waiting for my apps and data to restore, and etc. I found it more tedious than getting a replacement.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
So I was supposed to get a free replacement for my iPhone since the mute switch was defective but I never got around to doing that. Last night I just smashed my iPhone, will they still cover me for free?

Nice! But why did you smash the phone. Now apple isnt going to help for free now.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
oh. Is the damage really bad. IF it is, i would let it go with the flow and just make up a good excuse. I am pretty sure they will charge. But hopefully not

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Can you please tell the story from beginning to end? Getting small details here and there from the question people are asking is making it very difficult to follow exactly what happened.

Okay so you were supposed to get a replacement. What does that mean? They offered a replacement and you refused? You chose to have it repaired instead because you did not want to go through the effort of restoring the new phone? What happened exactly?

Well luckily I filmed the my mute switch going off on its own before it got smashed. Showed it to Apple, and they think it's a software related thing. Smh. Such BS. had to end up paying 80$ Since they think my mute switch is going off because of lots of crashed apps.. So I didn't qualify for a free replacement.

What was the $80 for? AppleCare service fee? Was it for a repair? Did that fix it? And what do you mean you did not qualify for a free replacement? You said you did at the beginning of the thread. Do you mean in your opinion you were supposed to get a free replacement?

I didn't want the hassle of dealing of turning off find my iPhone, going to the Apple Store, restoring my phone, re download iOS 8.3, register my phone, inputting my credit cards again to Apple pay, waiting for my apps and data to restore, and etc. I found it more tedious than getting a replacement.

Refusing a replacement because restoring is "tedious" is not Apple's problem.

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
op said that he had a faulty mute button. He contacted apple for a replacement which they agreed to do. Op just didnt make time to take it in and swap it for a new device. During that time his phone got smashed before he had time to go swap it out

venividivigor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Can you please tell the story from beginning to end? Getting small details here and there from the question people are asking is making it very difficult to follow exactly what happened.

Okay so you were supposed to get a replacement. What does that mean? They offered a replacement and you refused? You chose to have it repaired instead because you did not want to go through the effort of restoring the new phone? What happened exactly?

No, i had an iphone 5 that had the same problem and Apple replaced it for free. So i expected it to be the same for my phone again, i even called and told them my situation. Another reason why i took so long to take it in to apple, was the hassle to prove to them the switch is faulty. I was able to film the proof with my friends iPhone one night.

What was the $80 for? AppleCare service fee? Was it for a repair? Did that fix it? And what do you mean you did not qualify for a free replacement? You said you did at the beginning of the thread. Do you mean in your opinion you were supposed to get a free replacement?

the 80$ was for the broken screen, he told me that the mute switch problem was software related and not the hardware. he ran a diagnostic on my phone and he said he thinks it's cuz of all the apps crashing on my phone. so that meant i had to pay for the accidental damage and since he says its software related, apple can't cover it with their warranty. he did tell me to restore my phone and start fresh without a backup and if the same issue still occurred, i could come back and they'll replace it for free. and i did not have time for that, i went there for a replacement no matter what. and yes i have applecare+

Refusing a replacement because restoring is "tedious" is not Apple's problem.

not saying it is. but that is the reason why i didn't take it anytime soon

op said that he had a faulty mute button. He contacted apple for a replacement which they agreed to do. Op just didnt make time to take it in and swap it for a new device. During that time his phone got smashed before he had time to go swap it out

EXACTLY. you get it

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Perhaps they will give you a brand new smashed iPhone with a fully working mute switch?

Of course you won't get a free replacement now it has been damaged. :eek:

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

That's unfortunate, I got mine replaced for the exact same issue. They definitely never said it was to do with software.

However, I can see why they wouldn't replace it if it was smashed (sorry). That does void your AppleCare warranty.

venividivigor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
That's unfortunate, I got mine replaced for the exact same issue. They definitely never said it was to do with software.

However, I can see why they wouldn't replace it if it was smashed (sorry). That does void your AppleCare warranty.

They probably said it was a software issue this time so they didnt have to give me a free replacement and blame it on the smashed screen. Even though I showed them the evidence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.