So I just took a call from my iPad... and it worked... and was useful

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by BrettDS, Jul 18, 2014.

1. BrettDS macrumors 65816

When Apple first announced the ability to place and receive voice calls on the iPad I remember thinking "Hey, that's really cool", followed immediately by "Wait a minute, I have my phone with me 99% of the time. When would I actually place or receive a call from my iPad?"

I played around with the feature a bit, but I never found a really good use for it. In fact, lately, I've mostly just been annoyed by it. When I'm using my iPad and a call comes in it pops up on the iPad and disrupts what I'm doing. Plus there have been a few weird bugs with it where sometimes a call comes in and the iPad gets stuck with a green "Touch here to return to call banner" or it just keeps ringing indefinitely.

But this morning my wife had to get up and leave the house early to take a friend to a doctor's appointment. When I woke up I grabbed my iPad and went to the bathroom (OK, I realize that I'm now admitting that I use my iPad while sitting on the toilet, but it is necessary to make my point). I left my phone in the bedroom and a minute later I heard my phone start ringing. A second later the call popped up on my iPad and I realized it was my wife calling me. My first thought was "I wonder if this is important enough that I should go and get my phone and answer the call", but then I remembered that I could just answer from my iPad. So I did, and the feature actually worked quite well. The call quality sounded very good from my end and she said that I sounded a little hollow like I was on speakerphone (which I was), but she had no problem hearing me either.

So after a month and a half of using iOS 8 I have finally come up with a good reason to be able to place and receive calls on my iPad.

2. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

3. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

So cliffs: can now take calls from wife or mistress on iPad while making a dukey.

4. Jhingha macrumors regular

Jhingha

tl;dr

Never miss a call again when only bringing your iPad to your 'chamber of secrets' thanks to the new Phone continuity feature.

5. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

This is exactly the reason continuity excited me. I don't like taking my MacBook in the bathroom where I might spill water over it and blow up a thousand pounds.

My iPad however; AppleCare Plus :cool: