So I just walk into the Apple store and buy an iPhone, how does the ATT thing work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Trix, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Trix macrumors member

Trix

I am either blindly wandering around in stupidity or nobody told me how this worked.

I would like to buy a MacBook Pro (15" - 2.8) and a 32GB iPhone 3GS all at once at the Apple store. I'll be taking cash (bad idea? Maybe, but it's just how I pay for things)

The MacBook Pro will be simple, heres a computer, and here's two grand. But when I buy the iPhone what happens besides paying for the device? I set up a phone plan and all the AT&T jazz with the dude in the orange shirt or what?

Or do I go home with the phone, plug it into my new MBP, fire up iTunes and it asks me to make a phone plan? I'm clueless..

Thanks in advance, you have all the answers Oh Mighty One (MR) :D

2. Rootus macrumors 6502

Yup.

3. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

You can just walk in and buy, but it's actually easier to do a bit of work ahead of time. Go here and fill out the form, which will tell AT&T that you're going to become a customer, if you're porting your number, getting a new one, etc. Then you can walk in and they'll activate the phone for you in the store. :)

Enjoy.

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Setup the computer at home. Open iTunes. Get it setup -- the 3 or 4 questions it asks. Plug in your iPhone, and unless it has changed since I did the first-gen phone, you'll set it all up through iTunes. It was really really easy. I upgraded via AT&T's Web site when I pre-ordered through them, so I'm just assuming this is the method know.

Be thankful that AT&T and Apple reconsidered on the in-store-only activation they did for the 3G release. That was a mess.

5. Trix thread starter macrumors member

Trix

More specifics: I will be a new customer. I will NOT be porting my number. I know exactly what I want as far as the plan goes (450 minutes [$40] + data [$30] + unlimited texting [$20] = $90 before taxes)

How the heck do I get my SIM card and all that? Does the Apple store provide that?

6. jstigall macrumors newbie

The sim card is in the phone already. All you need as a new customer is a credit check.

7. Trix thread starter macrumors member

Trix

What is the difference when I hear people talking about "In-Store" activation as opposed to "DIY At-Home" activation? I could do either I think?

Geez, come to think of it, what IS activation?

(I'm not actually retarded, I just feel that way right now lol)

8. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

You can choose to activate either way.

Activation is just matching the SIM card with your phone number, so that the iPhone will receive and make phone calls. It can be done separately from or simultaneously with adding your content via iTunes, so they can do it at the store in a few seconds.

I got mine activated in-store, because I had sold my 3G, and was using the craptacular throwaway cell that I wanted to stop using ASAP. (BTW, I had only sold my 3G a few hours ago, though it felt like an eternity.) :p I wanted my 3GS to work as I was walking out of the store, just to be able to make and receive phone calls on a real phone.

9. Trix thread starter macrumors member

Trix

Ahh, I understand that part of it now. So its only like the simplest thing in the world, right..

Step One: Go to the link Ntombi gave me and "Pre-Order" the iPhone to be picked up in-store.
    Step Two:Walk into Apple store I chose with massive wad of cash.
    Step Three: Buy MBP
    Step Four: Buy iPhone and set up an account for AT&T with the sales-rep
    Step Five: He does his magic on the computer and I'm now an AT&T customer with a 2-year commitment, voila.
    Step Six: Go home, unbox MBP and set it up as usual for a computer, including iTunes.
    Step Seven: Unbox iPhone, plug into MBP and 'Activate' phone.
    Step Eight: Bask in 3 thousand dollars worth of :apple: goodness.........

Any errors with the above??!

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well... Step Five is actually the "activation," so Step Seven is more like "Unbox iPhone, plug into MBP and Sync with iTunes to load iPhone with music, videos, apps, photos, calendar and contacts."

Good luck and enjoy!

11. Trix thread starter macrumors member

Trix

Okay. And by following said steps, I don't open the product in the store correct?

I don't get all crazy over it, but I would rather unwrap/unbox it in the comfort of my own home rather than standing in a shopping mall while a guy I hardly know waits for me.....

12. adster macrumors regular

One more thing that no one's mentioned...

You cannot buy the iPhone with cash. I don't know why, but the enacted that policy some time ago. If you go to the Apple store with cash they will make you buy a giftcard with the cash and buy the phone with the giftcard. Why? I haven't a clue....but "that's the way it is".

Enjoy your MBP and 3GS! I know I sure as hell do! ;)

ALSO: Yes, you have to open the phone in the store and they activate it for you there. The in-home activations are only for people that had it shipped to their house. If you order in a store (either AT&T or the Apple Store) they have to open it up and activate it for you.

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You want to make sure you have an iTunes account setup as well....:cool::cool::cool:

14. Trix thread starter macrumors member

Trix

So getting it shipped to my house changes what, exactly? I activate it versus the sales-rep?