So I know it’s to each their own but...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mr.Bigglesworth, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Mr.Bigglesworth macrumors regular

Mr.Bigglesworth

I just went into best buy to try out the Note 8

Why switch from iPhone to it ?

I’ve been reading on here that users are very satisfied with it. So I said ehh what the hell, I’ll go buy it and give it a shot. I trust MacRumors.

Oh boy. I’m glad I played with it before hand. Camera is super laggy and the phone is awkward to hold ( and I have big hands. 6’4, 267LBS)

I whipped out my used and abused 7+ and it’s way smoother. Camera is silky smooth and the speakers are louder.

The pictures don’t look natural.

I will say that the phone is gorgeous and feels premium ( materials ) but it’s not as smooth or silky as iOS.

Can’t wait for the X !

2. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

I wouldn’t trust MR members. Many over exaggerate things to fit their arguments.

3. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I wouldn't depend on a sales demo model phone to determine whether something is smooth working or not.

Lots of people handle those phones, bloatware installed, proprietary software for the store to prevent theft/unauthorized use installed, etc.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but having been on Windows Mobile before I came to iPhone I understand the level of crapware on a device that can bring it to it's knees.

I have a coworker I regularly engage in Apple/Android banter (he has a new Samsung something). He really enjoys his phone and every time I've handled it (work WiFi, etc) it's been quick and smooth.

Not advocating one way or the other, just making a statement.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 14, 2017 ---
    Some do, I agree. Generally you find out who those people are though over time and they get marginalized here.

4. Mr.Bigglesworth thread starter macrumors regular

Mr.Bigglesworth

Totally understandable.

However, we ( was with my girl ) also grabbed a demo 7+ and it was just like iPhone.

5. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I would point out that other than MDM and any proprietary security apps, the store wouldn't be allowed to install any carrier bloatware or anything that would violate Apple's norms.

That said, again I am not saying you're wrong or that one is better than the other.

Just personally, if I were to try one of these devices I would probably purchase one, get all the crapware off and test from there. Return before 14 days if I don't like it.

That of course is not a very good endorsement of anything other than Apple (because you're getting what you experience with an Apple demo model) but it is what it is I guess.

6. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

The sales test units are not an accurate representation of the os.

7. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

My S8+ camera lags a lot. One time the cause was Pokémon Go behaving badly. I got thar squared away and all was well. Now I’m not sure what the hell is up with this phone, honestly. That’s why I want to try the Pixel 2 XL.

8. Applefan4515 Suspended

Applefan4515

S8+ I had, the camera was horrible. Good quality, but any time I tried to record a video it wouldn’t start recording until 5 seconds after I hit the record button

9. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

On the Note specifically I have not heard many speak of lag, any that do go into developer options to change the animations. I’ve watched a ton of reviews and read threads both in MR and other sites. I think pictures looking ‘natural’ is likely a preference thing. As is being awkward to hold, I didn’t think it was any worse than a plus iPhone, it’s just a large phone.

I’ve been reading up on it for a month, still can’t pull the trigger. I know I’ll end up with a X instead, but I can definitely see why some are jumping ship.

10. ultravegeta1981, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017

ultravegeta1981 macrumors 6502

ultravegeta1981

I don't understand all those lag and stutter you guys experience.. I have the s8 5 months now and no lag at all. Sometimes a micro stutter here and there, but nothing annoying. Maybe because of the exynos variant I have?

11. allonym macrumors regular

Those sure are big hands!

12. fs454 macrumors 68000

Hmm, the Apple phones work just fine as demo units. Don't make a demo unit if it's going to not represent the product and its performance. iOS doesn't clutter like that, and it shows via these demos.

The absolute best thing about iOS is that there's no such thing at all as "crapware" and this discussion never has to happen. If anything, the laggy demo units show that the product can deteriorate over time unless you constantly play computer janitor. No thanks.

13. ultravegeta1981 macrumors 6502

ultravegeta1981

Note that they always preload games, apps etc on the demo units. They can't do that to the IPhones.

14. fs454 macrumors 68000

Apple demo units are preloaded with custom demo software, games, apps, etc. I don't know what demo units you've seen, but the strategy is the same on both iOS and Android. Android just can't take it, which is evident.

15. eyoungren, Oct 14, 2017

eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

You are attributing things to events beyond the control of the manufacturer.

The manufacturer cannot control any bloatware installed by the carrier of the demo phone. It cannot control any software installed by the merchant to control shrinkage or abuse. It cannot control anything a customer may install and then walk away from.

Apple can. Because it has strict agreements with the merchants who sell their devices and the carriers that give them service. About the only thing a merchant can install is MDM and certain proprietary software that limits customer abuse.

Additionally, Apple demo units can be set to revert to stock on a recurring basis. If that's possible with other manufacturers I don't know, but if it is it may be something the merchant doesn't take advantage of.

In short you cannot assume that the problem is solely because of the manufacturer when these things are outside of it's control.

16. fs454 macrumors 68000

This plays exactly into why android is always a brutal experience. Apple's homework in this space prevents third parties who have no business writing mobile software from putting garbage all over the phone. Do I want a device that can't stand up to some software and people exploring it? Does that signal that without rooting, monitoring, scanning, watching background activity, closing apps diligently, researching resource hungry processes, etc. I will end up with a slow device with poor battery life? It certainly does.

This is a device to depend on a hundred times a day - I do a lot of my primary business on my phone. Do I want that kind of crap going on, or do I want a device that's always going to be quick, reliable, predictable, and low maintenance? If a demo unit designed to sell a product can't be snappy all the time, it says something about the product, regardless of who is responsible.

17. ultravegeta1981 macrumors 6502

ultravegeta1981

I don't know about that, I hate lag and love the iPhone, but since the S7 and now the s8 (both the Exynos version) I love the Galaxy line.

I see no lag and there is no reason for me to lie. I don't hate the Iphone, I wouldn't mind using one at the moment, but I love to download movies from popcorn time and watch it on my TV through bubbleupnp to my ps4.

Another thing I can't do with the iPhone.

18. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

I don’t have any issues with my note 8, but then I can’t say I’ve used it that much. Anyhow I prefer iOS and the Apple ecosystem and for that reason I’m selling the note 8 and getting the iPhone X. At the moment it’s sitting in a draw where it’s soent the past 2 weeks. I just haven’t got round to selling it yet.

19. fs454 macrumors 68000

Every in-store iPhone i've ever seen has been full of apps, games, and auto-reverts to some sort of fullscreen demo loop after inactivity. It's pre-signed into a demo Apple ID, and is pre-prepped for the user poking around where they shouldn't (like trying to buy apps, install software, erase content and settings).

And a reason you like the Android device over the iPhone is so you can pirate movies? Sure, I guess. I'm sure the phone works great for you and am not going to accuse you of lying about it in the least, but the possibility of slowdown, instability, and poor battery life for the average user not interested in constantly managing stuff (or ever managing stuff aside from storage) is too high.

20. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

You sound like the typical Apple customer.

You don't want to know or worry about the details of your device, you just want it to work and you don't care how Apple achieves that.

You are entirely comfortable with Apple controlling all aspects of the device and the experience.

There is nothing wrong with that and I am not saying it's wrong either.

It is a choice.

The same things you are saying are bad about Android allow Android users to install the things they want versus the stuff Apple only allows them to.

For people like myself who jailbreak their Apple devices, I like a little more control than Apple gives me.

Again, I am not advocating one choice over the other, I am simply providing details and facts.

The fact that these kinds of things are possible with Android is a strike against them for you and for others and that's perfectly fine. Just not everyone sees it the same way.

21. ultravegeta1981, Oct 14, 2017

ultravegeta1981 macrumors 6502

ultravegeta1981

Yep, I'm pirating movies. I know, I'm a big criminal shhhh.

My battery life is stellar. My phone is not slow. My apps open quiet fast.

Again, I'm not hating apple. In fact I do love it and I might get the X if the reviews are good. But I wouldnt change my s8 to a iphone 7 or 8.

22. fs454 macrumors 68000

I work in IT in los angeles for high-profile entertainment industry clients, and while Android is extremely rare in this space, the devices that do come in are almost always embarrassingly off the deep end with bloat, are sluggish as all hell, and the user is typically confused as to what the issue is which requires a pretty time consuming deep dive and some lengthy education for the user who will inevitably forget and end up in the same situation next month.

I am absolutely advocating the Apple way over the android way for 99% of users. There is a use for a more open device, but it's a straight up sham to sell that to the general public right next to the iPhone and claim they're the same class of product. Most people want a fast, problem-free and reliable device to depend upon, not something they have to constantly monitor. If you're a power user, by all means grab an android device, but otherwise it's like pushing a linux distro on a grandma.

23. Diorama macrumors 6502a

Haha, classic.

24. valinda macrumors 6502

valinda

I bought a s8 last week, and I like it. I use to have a Note 5, and it was a really good phone. I never noticed any lag, even though Samsung's are known for lag.
    I was going to get the Note 8, but there was not any trade in deals going on for it, so I got the S8.
    I sure do like playing around with live wallpapers.
    Paperland Pro is my favorite one right now.
    If I start to miss my iPhone, I'll just switch out the SIM cards.

25. rockitdog macrumors 68020

My iPhone 8 has been stuttering like crazy the past few days and I can't figure out why. My S8 had less lag than this iPhone 8 has!