So I Looked Down at my iPhone 5 Today When...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stangs55, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Stangs55, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

...I saw this :( and I have absolutely no idea how it happened.

Maybe I'm asking for trouble since I carry my iPhone in a Seidio outward-facing holster. Regardless, I was at work and got onto an elevator with my new iPhone 5...I got off the elevator with this. I don't remember anybody bumping into me or hitting anything. :( And boy it seems deep...like a gash more than a scratch. It's almost like the iPhone 5 has a thin layer of paint on it rather than anodized aluminum.

Oh well. I had never planned to use a case with my iPhone and I still don't plan on it...I had always just suspected it would wear gracefully with age...didn't quite expect this. I'm not mad really...I guess I just kinda feel like a proud father disappointed in a bad decision his son made, but not loving him any less. Conceptually, it does remind me of the antenna problems with the iPhone 4--Apple had made an incredible product in the 4, but it had one major flaw...the difference then was that that flaw affected the phone's performance whereas this flaw is purely cosmetic. But for a company who's success is, in part, due to their aesthetics...it's still a mistake. An unforgiveable mistake? Absolutely not. The iPhone 5 is near perfect in every other regard and I'm certain that Apple will only learn from this for the iPhone 5S, which I suppose will exhibit none of the scratching problems.

Until then...it is what it is. Put a case on it or come to grips with the inevitable. It's that simple.

2. bueller1 macrumors 6502

I have a 2 inch scratch on the top glass in the back....From god knows what. Who cares

3. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

So you mean to tell me a ghost was on the elevator with you and was pawing at your iPhone with a knife!?! :eek:

4. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

5. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

Never understood why so many people put their phones in the same pocket as their keys.

Not saying that's what happened here but wouldn't be surprised if there were results similar to this by doing so.

6. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Aluminum has a hardness of 2.5-3 on the mohs scale of mineral hardness (a scale of 1-10, 10 being the hardest). Aluminum Oxide (anodizing) has a hardness of 9.0. However, the anodized layer is very thin. It bewilders me that anodizing is able to be scratched away so easily, but I can assure you that your iPhone is indeed anodized.

7. Ahonen macrumors 6502

Ahonen

Yikes, bummer man. It stands out so much with the dark on silver too. I'm glad I got white, but I'm getting a case anyway. I feel for all the black iPhone 5 peeps, maybe you can touch it up with a Sharpie a bit.

8. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

9. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

10. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Looks like white paint from the object that scratched it. Try rubbing it with alcohol/perfume.

11. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

Ouch.

Reminds me of a time when I had just recieved a brand new iPhone 3G from Apple Care. I was sitting there in my chair playing with it, and then my cat jumped up and headbutted it out of my hand and onto the concrete floor. :(

12. bueller1 macrumors 6502

13. rumthin macrumors newbie

If the anodized back is as susceptible to scratching as a lot of people claim, your phone probably got scratched by one of the edges on your holster while you were pulling it out or putting it in.

14. kevroc macrumors 6502

15. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

Take some steel wool to the aluminum back and see how it comes out. It could actually look good.

16. retinarob macrumors regular

17. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

The process in which the pores of the aluminum are created-which hold the color-was shortened and this is the issue along with their not being a clear coat over the anodizing.

----------

My old man is a television repairman - he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

18. nfl46 macrumors 603

Dayummmm, your phone got knocked the (f) out! :eek::eek::eek:

19. kevinbomb123 macrumors member

dont carry a phone in a "holster"

Look at it this way now you know what not to do so it wont happen with your 5s

20. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502

Damn, that's rough. I told myself I wasn't going to get a case but when I first touched the phone, I knew I needed to have one so I went to Verizon the next day and they were fully stocked with cases so bought a silicone one. Holsters are not for me. Warranty exchange?

21. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

That sucks, I don't use a case but I put the phone in a holster and so far so good. You may want to put a case on now so you wont notice the scratch.

22. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

23. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Wow, I didn't know people still used holsters for phones.