So I may or may not have just gotten an AT&T Rep to confirm the iPhone 5 date in Sept

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aevelasquez, Aug 16, 2011.

1. aevelasquez macrumors regular

I was on the phone with an AT&T rep to check if i could replace my water-damaged iPhone for $199. He told me that my upgrade became effective on 10/19/11, one year after i bought it. He then went on to say that if i replace it now, then I won't be able to use the upgrade in the future. I told him that I knew the iPhone 5 was just around the corner and that if he thought getting a temporary prepaid GoPhone for that month and a half in waiting was a good idea. He told me that that was my best bet, that the iPhone 5 was in plans to be announced in September and that AT&T would definitely be carrying it by the time my upgrade came into effect, so if i just held off buying the iPhone 4 Replacement, as he said he was, then I would be able to get the newest edition in about a month.

Thoughts?

P.S. Feel free to doubt, disbelieve, and troll. I couldn't give less of a *****.

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

That At&t rep knows nothing.. Everyone knows the iPhone is coming soon.

3. aevelasquez thread starter macrumors regular

You just contradicted yourself...what the hell are you even talking about?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The question is what the hell are you talking about?
    No AT&T rep knows any more than you and me about when the next iphone is coming out.
    Believe what you want.

5. hismikeness macrumors regular

It's not like the rep pinned down an actual date of release. Anyone that has been paying attention to the news knows the new iPhone 5 is coming soon. I saw it on FoxNews.com the other day, so I'm sure CNN had it too, CNet, etc, etc.

6. aevelasquez, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

aevelasquez thread starter macrumors regular

i definitely just posted this as an informative retelling. You can take from it what you will, feel free to call *********. I couldn't really care less. What I don't see, though, is why he would rather have me spend 10 dollars on a goPhone than 199 on an iPhone 4 unless there it was a sure thing that i was going to spend more on the iPhone 5 in a month or so.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure the people who are official carriers of the damn thing would know a bit more about it than you, I, or any other consumer

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think he's saying that the AT&T rep has seen the same rumors as the rest of us. It's a pretty good guess that it's coming, but he doesn't know more than the rest of us.
    Anyway if you want a water damaged phone replaced for the subsidized price take it to Apple and do an out of warranty replacement, its $199 and you don't waste an upgrade.

8. Skream macrumors member

9. aevelasquez thread starter macrumors regular

Oh I gotcha, yeah but if i do that then I won't have the money for the 5 if and when announced in a month or so.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The management doesn't tell them things like that, since Apple is very secretive. I was in an Apple store recently, and the salesperson was talking to someone about an iphone, and when the person mentioned the possible release of the iPhone 5 in the fall he confirmed that that's what the rumors are saying, but they aren't told anything officially.

11. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

So you care a lot, then?

Except they don't. They know exactly as much as anyone else besides Apple, which is nothing.

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Tell your story to digitimes since they seem to consider anyone a "source" lol

The guy was speculating just as much as anyone else TS, he probably reads about iPhone rumors too :cool:

13. aevelasquez thread starter macrumors regular

He very may well have been, i was just telling you guys about what went on, not really going one way or the other.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You may or may not have? I bet it's may not have and probably did not.

15. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

you know nothing about apple if you really believe that....

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It's not just not knowing anything about Apple. Since the launch of the first iPhone we've never been told anything by an AT&T employee that panned out. Bottom line is AT&T employees are no more knowledgable than the mass majority members of this board. It's all speculation.

17. labman macrumors 604

labman

FYI AT&T doesn't do anything with repair or exchanges replacements unless it's renewing a contract. Go talk to Apple about your phone. It's been confirmed many times AT&T at least retail wise is kept in the dark.

18. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

It's nothing against you. It's just that the second to last people to be notified (besides us, the consumers) will be carrier customer service reps.

19. aevelasquez thread starter macrumors regular

Probably so, man. I was legitimately just posting about it to show that even AT&T reps are prepping for an imminent launch, to add to the likelihood of its happening.

20. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Yeah, this comment completely contradicts itself.

21. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

lol

yup im sure apple trusts people that work at the mall to keep their information confidential

22. labman macrumors 604

labman

why not they trust Apple employee's that have Birthday Party's and Party at the bar?

23. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to post...

24. Sean4123 macrumors 6502

I work for AT&T as a Sales Rep, and guess what? We don't know anything special about when the iPhone 5 is coming out. No one does, except for insiders at Apple.

Do you know how I know this? Because if there was an official release date that AT&T employees knew about, it would leak so fast, your head would spin.

Do people not realize that if there isn't a solid release date online from reputable sources, then its still up in the air?

I had one friend, a couple months ago, telling everyone that there was going to be an "iPhone Nano" and an iPhone 5 coming soon. I told him that nothing of that sort had been confirmed, and I looked like an a**hole for it. It's astonishing how gullible people are.