So I owned a 1st gen iPhone, and had to pay $499 for the 3G...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PhaserFuzz, Jul 12, 2008.

1. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

I was under the impression all current iPhone owners automatically got the cheaper price? I told the Apple employee this and they said they have to charge what their computer says. They said they couldn't change it and told me I had to contact AT&T. Well I ended up just paying the full price because I waited in line for over 3 hours and was already late for work.

The more I think about it, the more angry I get. I should've only had to pay $299 correct? I am on a family plan. Does that effect it? I got my 1st gen iPhone last August.

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Go back to your AT&T store, or call customer service and tell them. There is nothing really we can do here, but i'm going to agree that is ********.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

4. snake101st macrumors regular

Ill buy yours for $200 to offset the difference! :D

5. apthai macrumors member

Is your account associated with a FAN number?

If so, there is a problem for Apple stores that if you have a FAN number on your account and is currently an iPhone user, Apple's computer doesn't read it correctly.

6. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

Yes you should have gotten the iPhone for $299 without a doubt.

Did you have the old iPhone active when you walked in? Because it seems they got lazy and just checked to see if they saw your active phone--not eligibility. Before the 3G iPhone was launched I walked into an AT&T store to make sure I was eligible even though I checked online and it said I was. I didn't have an iPhone active since February (mine was stolen).

The employee there fed me so much BS and told me I'd have to pay $499, etc

I showed him online that it says I'm eligible and he told me he was sorry and he was looking at the active phone not eligibility. After that I told myself I was headed to the Apple store for launch to get my iPhone. Screw the AT&T store.

Just reading that makes me mad dude :mad: Bring total hell to them because that's just BS

7. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Have you paid your bill on time? I think as long as you were a customer in good standing with AT&T, you were good to go.

8. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

If the person had a fan number they would have not been able to upgrade or purchase it at all at a apple store. They told customers to call att and ask them to remove it and then they can process the phone

9. tjespo22 macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

it could have been from two things. One, you owed att money on your bill or on the family plan from the phone that you had before the iphone, that still wasn't eligible for an upgrade (because remember for v1 iphone it didnt matter cuz it was un-subsidized. So it could be either or. They told me, the system is saying that your not eligible for an upgrade, and i thought i was going to cry after waiting from 9pm the night before. I was a little worried becuase i had sold my iphone about 1 month ago and been using a sony ericcson that had been givin to be, but i didnt think it would matter because they would think that i still had an iphone because i didnt purchase the sony ericcson from them..
    well anyway i would contact att and see what the problem is and try to get some cash back. I know what you mean though about waiting on line and then being in there and just wanting to get out of there, i was about to say fine ill pay whatever it is just give me the phone! lol

espo

10. PhaserFuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, honestly I don't know about any late payments. I always just give the cash to my parents and they pay it. I'll ask them, that makes sense if thats the case. And yeah, it was a pretty hectic time in the store when I bought it. I was tired from waiting and stressed about being late for work. I clearly couldn't think straight at a time like that. I just look back now and get mad at myself because I could've potentially saved $200. I'll call AT&T tomorrow to see what the reasoning is.

11. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Did you get a phone within the last two years besides the iPhone?