So I saw the news about MBP huge reworking in 2012....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -LikesMac-, Apr 26, 2011.

  1. -LikesMac- macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2010
    #1
    And I was going to get the MBP this summer. It was going to be my very first Mac.
    But with news of a radical change, should I wait?

    I am not in College/University or anything like that, so....

    But I am one of those people that like to have greatest :D
     
  2. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2009
    #2
    wait. :D
     
  3. wywern209 macrumors 65832

    wywern209

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    do you rly want to know?
    #3
    buy it if you need it now or wait. but, if you keep on waiting, you will be MBPless forever. my suggestion is buy now, and sell.
     
  4. -LikesMac- thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2010
    #4
    But..

    Based on some thinking, won't buying this model and selling it when the update happens (or before) have a drastic lowered resale value because of the huge reworK???? :confused:
     
  5. sbb155 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2005
    #5
    wait, or better yet, satiate yourself with a cheap refurb macbook, and sell it in a year. you will lose a little $, but it will tide you over. and the warranty will still be a year.
    wait wait wait
     
  6. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2009
    #6
    Drastic? Probably not.

    Significant? Yup.
     
  7. McGiord macrumors 601

    McGiord

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2003
    Location:
    Dark Castle
  8. DustinT macrumors 68000

    DustinT

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2011
    #8
    Buy one now, use it, love it... When the time comes sell it off and grab a new one. You'll spend some money but then you did get to use it for a while.
     
  9. jdreier macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2010
    #9
    ... if I had a dollar for every thread that i've read asking this same question...


    i'd be filthy rich
     
  10. persian-boy macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2011
    #10
    lol im in the same position as you. i was going to buy a new one with the student discount but i cant decided but im thinking il probs get it now and resell. and seen as i get the student discount i would hardly lose that much. but im desperate for a new laptop, as mine is about to die :(
     
  11. NickZac macrumors 68000

    NickZac

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2010
    #11
    Don't count on any timing with Apple...most rumors are just that. They just kinda drop new products at random times and are like 'whatever, enjoy'.
     
  12. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

    Prodo123

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2010
    #12
    Buy one now, and when the next one is released, buy one then, and when the next one is released, buy one then, and when the next one is released, buy one then, and when the next one is released, buy one then...and in the end you would have owned EVERY SINGLE MacBook Pro models since 2011! At a total loss of $8,000 in 6 years! Which could have decked a single MBP out with 16GB of RAM, 512GB SSD, which would still be faster than future generation MBPs, with plenty left over!

    Just buy one now, and keep using it for a long time.
     
  13. wywern209 macrumors 65832

    wywern209

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    do you rly want to know?
    #13
    not necessarily. People who can't afford the new ones in 2012 will buy your model regardless because they don't have much of an option.
     
  14. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2011
    #14
    I understood the threads that were popping up right before the 2011 refresh. But is this ever going to stop? Asking if you should wait for 10 months? Yikes.
     
  15. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

    SPEEDwithJJ

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2008
    #15
    I humbly think that there will still be a "significant" loss because at that point, you'll have to compete with Apple's refurb prices when you sell your MBP. :(
     
  16. maclaptop macrumors 65816

    maclaptop

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2011
    Location:
    Western Hemisphere
    #16
    Buy now.

    The upcoming model will have plenty of problems.
     
  17. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2009
    #17
    Ignore this post.

    Nothing to see here people...:rolleyes:
     
  18. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2010
    #18
    If you need it now. Buy it, use it, enjoy it! No one knows when 2012 refresh will happen and what it will bring. If it is a drastic update, sell it before new ones hit the market
     
  19. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

    Prodo123

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2010
    #19
    Oh and by the time you just start loving the 2012 MBP, the world will end. :p
     
  20. revenire macrumors member

    revenire

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2011
    #20
    If we wait for the "new" we'd be waiting forever.
     
  21. maclaptop macrumors 65816

    maclaptop

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2011
    Location:
    Western Hemisphere
    #21
    It's proof positive that brainwashing does work.

    Apple worshipers are exemplary lemmings. :)
     
  22. silvermail macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2010
    #22
    I just got the new MBP 15" 2.2 GHz to replace my old C2D 2.66 GHz 15" model.

    I guess we can go on waiting forever, but I will skip the next new model, and wait for the replacement for the new model. This will give me another ~2 yrs of 'usage' on my current 2.2 GHz model..
     
  23. maclaptop macrumors 65816

    maclaptop

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2011
    Location:
    Western Hemisphere
    #23
    Smart choice, very wise.

    As a very long time Mac laptop user, it's always smart to buy before a case revision.

    History reveals Apple usual screws up an all new model till its been tested by customers.

    Then gradually they fix it and the second year is the one to buy.
     
  24. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2010
    #24
    Agreed. The new models will have a 99.9% failure rate and will overheat and cause a fire hazard. I wouldn't want to buy the new model. I heard they will remove the DVD drive. HAHAHA, how you gonna watch a movie without a DVD drive???
     
  25. Erasmus macrumors 68030

    Erasmus

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2006
    Location:
    Hiding from Omnius in Australia
    #25
    What is more important to you? What it looks like on the outside, or how it performs on the inside?

    If you want a fast computer, the next revision is most likely to see only an incremental speed increase, so better to buy now, and just throw some extra money at it in 12 months for more RAM and a big, fast SSD (as I plan to do).

    If you care more for a computer that has a brand new exterior design (ie, you're a superficial kind of guy) then you'd be best to wait. On the other hand, if you wait, you risk being caught if you hate the new design.

    As you're buying a MBP, I can only assume performance matters to you. So, I would suggest buying now (as the new ones are wicked fast) or waiting 2 years for Intel's Haswell CPUs. The early 2012 model doesn't seem like it will have anything worth waiting 10 months for.
     

Share This Page