So I stopped by my local Apple store a few minutes ago

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jman13, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Jman13 macrumors 68000

At Easton Town Center here in Columbus. Still had a line, still had lots of phones, though they were close to being out for the people currently in line if they were all there for the 5s.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379698774.162006.jpg

I came mainly to see the phones in person. I ordered my 32GB gold this morning and it will ship in the next few days. On first look, though, I somewhat regretted that because the Space Gray looks so good. The gold one looks nice. It is more understated than flashy, though my first impression was that it was the worst looking of the 3.

I spent a bunch of time there going back and forth and such and eventually determined that for me, the silver looks the best from the front, followed very closely by the gold. The gray looks the best from the back, with the gold being more interesting than the silver. For my purposes, I think the brown leather case with the gold will look really good, and I felt somewhat validated after spending a little more time with the gray, since it looks almost exactly like my slate 5 from the front. Since I use a slim case, there's not a lot of difference.

I did take my phone out of my case, and take a picture of it next to a space gray 5S with a neighboring 5s. Then I just hit air drop and instantly transferred it to my phone. I had thought you needed to be on the same wifi for that to work, but apparently Bluetooth works too since I was on LTE and the 5S found my 5 instantly.

So here's that for those wondering how much lighter the gray is over last year's slate:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379699151.760227.jpg

2. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Thanks for this. Get a pic of the gold by chance?

3. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Oh man, the Gray is really nice looking. It's reminiscent of the original iPhone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Thanks for the pic! I've been wondering how the gray looks compared to the current black one. It looked slightly lighter in the stock photos, but it was hard to tell. I like it. I think that will help a lot as far as the edge scuffing on the old black one.

5. dojoman macrumors 65816

I went with Space Grey, it's a nice mature neutral color not too flashy and not too boring. I only wish Apple had made the ring more standout.

6. ryanasimov macrumors regular

Are you talking about the Apple brand brown leather case? I believe if you put it on a gold phone nothing but the white front would show; I don't think anyone could tell the difference between a silver or gold phone in an Apple brand case.

7. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

8. Spacial macrumors 6502

Nice comparison. I wish Apple would have made the current phone comfortable to hold. Flat & featureless they're not even close to as comfortable each of my iPhones from one through 3GS.

Yet that said I do realize it's all about what Apple wants, not the people that buy they're products.

9. terzinator macrumors 6502

So you airdropped the photo -- taken with one of the store's phones -- onto your phone?

I think it uses bluetooth to find nearby devices, but you need to be on the same wifi network to transfer the file. (I THINK.) My guess is that you were (perhaps unknowingly) on the Apple Store's wifi network, no?

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm used to it.

10. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

11. wicker21 macrumors member

wicker21

Does space gray or the silver one look more like the color of a MacBook Air/Pro? Silver I would guess but I have not heard or seen any pictures comparing them.

12. klb028 macrumors 6502

Thanks for sharing! Loved seeing the comparison photo.

I thought the same thing!

13. Jman13 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok. Few questions answered:

-color of the gray is a little darker than the silver of a MacBook. The silver phone is lighter than a MacBook.

- Airdrop worked without me being on any wifi network. It transferred FAST too.

- I did take some pics of the gold. On the apple branded leather cases (no pic) the rim of the gold around the phone is also visible (from pics I've seen)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379701550.847766.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379701567.945129.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379701580.126073.jpg

14. terzinator macrumors 6502

well that is danged cool

15. 2macORnot2mac macrumors regular

2macORnot2mac

nice

I was going to get the gold, but ATT only had the grey this morning, so I walked out with the grey.
    It does look a lot better than I thought it would. Maybe in a year, I'll "go for the gold"