So I want to jailbreak but i have doubts. Help clearify for me.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by w...b, Apr 3, 2009.

1. w...b macrumors regular

So i have my 3g since the day it came out and i've been loving it so far. The only problem are the lacking apps. What i really want is the video camera app.

My questions:
    What problems are associated with jailbreaking and could i end up bricking my phone or causing hardware issues?
    Would i still be able to use original apps that i've downloaded?
    Once 3.0 comes out all i have to do is restore my phone and hook it up to itunes to get it, right?
    Any problems with loosing information? (emails, contacts, etc?)

I pay for everything on my own and since im in school i cant really afford to get a new phone if anything goes wrong

Thanks

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

searching is a great tool

in short, you cant brick your phone by jailbreaking, you can use your original apps, yea just restore to get 3.0, and just back up your phone prior to restore and you shouldnt lose any info as its all on your comp

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Cycorder is OK, but a bit jumpy (but free). Better than not having video. You will need to use SSH to get videos off the iPhone and into iTunes (if you wish to do this).

Just read the info on how to do it. I used Pwanage Tool with a Mac laptop to do it http://www.iphonehacks.com/2009/02/stepbystep-guide-to-jailbreak-iphone-3g-and-preserving-baseband-using-pwnagetool.html

The worst part of all of it is re-arranging your icons back onto the pages in whatever order you desire.

As long as you back up your contacts, emails, etc you will get it all back.

If you use a Mac, be sure to put a powered USB hub between the Mac and iPhone...

4. w...b thread starter macrumors regular

why would you need a powered usb hub? i only have an extender. Like 1 port to 4.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you have a Mac using the latest OSX, there's a bug that prevents you from jailbreaking from the regular usb port. Using a powered usb hub is the easiest way to work around this bug.

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

w...b,

I suggest you do a bunch of reading. It is clear you have not begun to look into the info available to accomplish what you want to do.