So I was in an Apple store today, asked about Applecare and "User Upgradable Parts"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kingpikey, Mar 25, 2008.

1. kingpikey macrumors member

I was in the Baton Rouge, LA Apple store today, and figured I'd ask one of their employees about upgrading a Mac Mini's hard drive myself. I asked how or if this might impact my AppleCare warranty. The employee excused himself, indicating that he would check with someone behind the Genius Bar, and that he'd be right back. Shortly after, he returned and informed me that by simply opening the case I would void my AppleCare warranty. I repeated this information, just to make sure we were clear, and he quickly affirmed what I had repeated. I informed him that I had come across numerous sources, including some from the Apple Support website, that might contradict what he was telling me. The employee then just restated that simply opening the Mini's case would void the warranty.

He then suggested that the Apple store could not do the upgrade either, and that I might be able to take my Mini to another local Apple reseller that he thought might be certified.

I thanked him for his time, and graciously appeared to accept his ruling on the subject.

It seems that every time I ask this question, or see it asked, a different answer is given. The reason for the Mini is that the system lacks Customer Installable Parts (CIP), and thus any opening of the case or replacing of parts would void the warranty.

Is there any hope that we can get an OFFICIAL clarification from Apple on this?

Some references:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=13946 (mentioned in this post: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1447374&tstart=0)

For those interested, I've asked this question on the Apple Support discussion groups. Waiting for a reply. http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1459209

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

It only voids the warranty if you muck it up. When you open up any machine yourself you are taking responsibility for any damage you cause. Professional upgrades are not immediately distinguishable from DIY ones that were done correctly. After all, its the same process, just a different hand.

I upgraded my mini's RAM and HD more than a year ago. A few months back the superdrive dies. I took it in and they replaced it no questions asked.

Don't let bureaucracy get you down. :D

3. kingpikey thread starter macrumors member

I just wonder if this apparent misinformation is being deliberately reinforced by Apple, or if its just one of those cases where everyone is an expert, but no one can cite their sources.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I understand the Mini to not be accessible to the user. So by opening the machine you are risking voiding your warranty. The risk is in if you mess something up and have to have it repaired, it will not be covered by warranty. My source is not important as the OP has just stated that there are no CIP's (never heard of that acronym before).

5. California macrumors 68040

California

They want you to spend money on an Apple Certified reseller or Tech. This happened to a friend's iBook on which I had upgraded the 40 gig hd to a 100 gig Toshiba. I didn't have the three hours or so to open up the iBook so she had to pay eighty bucks for the tech to do it (I happened to have my old Mini 80 gig hard drive) and they put that it and "registered" it with Apple.

It's all b.s. Apple is responsible if your apple branded hard drive fails, so there's that. just don't muck up the upgrade. Be careful on those mini's. be careful and your warranty will be just fine.

6. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Unfortunately I don't think there is a clear-cut answer. I agree with GimmeSlack12 though. The risk is there, and Apple would have grounds to deny a repair.

7. kingpikey thread starter macrumors member

Too bad they aren't taking the time to teach Apple Store employees (nor the Genius Bar people for that matter) the correct information regarding AppleCare and customer upgrades.

8. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Problem is opening up the Mini is very noticeable since it requires some good amount brute force for the clams inside to let go... :(

9. jeffmc macrumors 6502

that's true with most apple computers

the mini is different though

even in store RAM upgrades, in any computer anyone in the store is allowed to do it. the mini ram upgrades HAVE to be done by a certified genius.

open the mini and you're applecare is gone. bring it to an apple store or an authorized repair shop and have them do it for you if you want to keep the warranty

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

While the hard drive and RAM are replacable/upgradable Apple does not consider them User Upgradeable Parts. An example of what Apple considers User Upgradeable Parts would be the hard drive and RAM on the MacBook or the RAM on the MacBook Pro. Yes the hard drive on the MacBook Pro can also be replaced/upgraded it is not considered a User Upgradeable Part

11. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Officially you are absolutely correct. What I'm trying to get at is that no matter wether a person is certified or not they have to follow the same procedure. Both have to use force, and heck, someone who owns the machine will probably be more careful with the thing. A good job should look exactly the same, nulling your argument.

Unless Apple or the AASP asks for proof that a given part was installed by a certified tech (I've never been), or the installed part is the point of failure, then there isn't anything to worry about.

I know that areas like these can be frustrating, but most times it just isn't worth be frustrated over. If you feel comfortable doing the upgrade then do it, and if you don't take it in to an AASP who will happily perform any upgrade for a fee.

12. jeffmc macrumors 6502

oh absolutely i agree 100%
    i'm just saying by the book the warranty is technically invalid.

i've upgraded ram and drives in minis before i was certified no problem, anyone who has basic computer knowledge is completely capable.

13. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Is there an apple store in Louisiana? I'm not kidding, I live in S'Port.

I was in an apple repair center in Colorado last October and I mentioned to the owner/technician that I'd like to upgrade my mini to 2gb. He said, "it's not upgradeable". I didn't argue. I knew I could get 2gb on ebay and DIYS.

14. iisdmitch macrumors member

I messed up my ibook one time, from my understanding if a non apple certified person opens up an apple product, it voids all warrantys. Unless its ram pretty much. So I asked the guy how much to get it repaired, he informed me that since a non certified apple technician opened the computer, apple wont even touch it. Not even for a fee! Thats why when I bought my Imac I purchased it from Best Buy, I used to work there and know how their warranty works and how to work their warranty system so they cant try to mess with me.

15. pinktank macrumors 6502

my experience has been different, it has been fineunless you put it back as it was

16. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Yep, it opened up on March 6th at the Mall of Louisiana in Baton Rouge. Pretty nice store too, I'll be headed up that way again tomorrow :)

-Bryan

17. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Sweet. Thank goodness we finally got one. Dallas is closer for me but that's still great news.