Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dangermou5e

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
London
Today I got my self an iPhone dock for my new phone, and while sat in front of my PC which is an iMac I thought to my self -

Wouldn't it be awesome, if while my iPhone was plugged into the dock, that I could just answer phone calls straight from the computer it self, and then use the mic and speakers on the iMac to have the conversation??

Does anyone know if this is possible? I know you can just get Skype, but I thought it could be 100 times for efficient to do this, rather than have to hold the phone between your neck and shoulder while trying to type and work.

;)

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
I'd think you'd get pretty tired (not to mention some funny looks) walking around holding an iMac to your ear.

I'm just saying...

OK, serious answer: this should be possible - not through the dock, but using Bluetooth. What you would need is software for the iMac that would allow it to work as a Bluetooth headset (not the other way around). Dunno if such software exists, but there's no reason it couldn't be written. (Google is your friend...)

Ok, one solution is BluePhoneElite:

http://mirasoftware.com/BPE2/

Apparently, you can even text from your Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.