So I went to buy my iphone today (read very funny!!)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VenomousSVT, Dec 5, 2007.

1. VenomousSVT macrumors 6502

Disclaimer: Before you read this I have to say that there is nothing funny about this thread. The story that you are about to read is merely an ironic circumstance in which I picked up a 1.1.1 phone by chance when people are going out of ther way, and paying lots of money for one to unlock it. I would edit the title of this thread to depict how "unfunny" it actually is so that no one would be sucked into my black hole of a thread, however I can not do so. So be forwarned, the following thread isnt funny at all, so continue at your own risk!!!!

So I went to at&t to pick up an iphone today. I havent cared anything about hacking the phone at all, and had already decided not to worry about jailbreaking one either. So rather than make an a$$ out of myself and ask the guy for an old version of a phone I just decided I didnt care what I got, as long as it was an iphone.

Well, i just got home and activated it only to see that itunes says it needs to be updated to 1.1.2!! HAHAHAHAHHA out of all the people to get a 1.1.1 OTB version!!! hahahahaha

looks like I will be jailbreaking after all!

2. mpw Guest

3. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

LOL. Because many people are desperate for a 1.1.1 because the baseband allows for unlocking. They are willing to pay more, drive hours away, and call around to find one. This guy just gets one!

4. mpw Guest

Oh right I get it now....yeah that is hilarious. Do you think think they'll bring back Sienfeld for a Christmas special where he just goes in and buys a phone while Kramer and George have a wacky adventure trying to search for the 1.1.1 version? Comedy gold!

5. calculus Guest

calculus

That would be awesome:rolleyes::D

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

7. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Yeah.. and Steve Jobs could be a guest star, playing the iPhone Nazi ;-)
    "No iPhone for you!" :D

8. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Ooh, i would like to see that episode!! Just cuz you dont see the comedy doesnt mean this person doesnt. I think its funny in an ironic sort of way. Don't have to be sarcastic.

9. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Actually, only his sarcasm made the thread funny, so he's just keeping the promise of the OP.

10. mpw Guest

Sarcastic? I'm serious, I loves me some Seinfeld. That I didn't see the joke right away because I'm not totally into the iPhone hacking subculture doesn't mean you can accuse me of sarcasm. Take that back, immediately!

11. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

OP: If I were in your situation and didn't care about jail-breaking I'd put that sucker on ebay.

12. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

:D:D I take it back, i do. Haha, sorry man, its been a long day, and you can never tell over the internet. That really would make a good seinfeld episode though...

13. JPark macrumors 6502a

I don't own own an iPhone, but my understanding is that they've been able to Jailbreak 1.1.2 for quite some time now:
    http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18284

For me, that was the funny part of the thread.

Edit: Ahh, you have to have a TurboSim. Well cograts, mate! That's sweet.

14. airfang macrumors regular

...dont see the point here...

I got my iPhone with 1.1.1 fw as well..

15. VenomousSVT thread starter macrumors 6502

ok for those of you completely dont get the humor in the thread....

the humor, even though it isnt hilarious, which i never claimed for it to be, is solely because of the irony behind people going so far out of their way to get an 1.1.1 iphone and i wasnt even stressed about getting one yet I somehow end up with one.

There are a few live threads on here at the moment about people that have been looking for one, and or people that have one on hold for them now. There several rude people that seem to think it is funny that they are hard to get now and are laughing at the new guys buying phones wanting to do more with them.

No sooner did I write off the jackasses and accept the fact that mine wont be able to be fully hacked as of now, i luck up out of coincidence and snag the holy grail of iphones at the moment.

so i guess to the older crowd that would understand the humor is this, it is kinda funny.

thanks for reading, even if you DONT have a sense of humor

16. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

I think he meant "ironic".

17. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

If you don't care about jailbreak, I'd suggest the eBay option. Great deal congrats.

18. VenomousSVT thread starter macrumors 6502

i wasnt going to mess with downgrading and then having to jailbreak and take a chance of bricking it... but seeing how I have a 1.1.1, i am not too concerned and will probably jailbreak it as soon as I find software that I want to load

19. hidehide macrumors 6502

I think my trip to buy iphone is funnier than yours.
    I say I want an iphone. The guy open the drawer, and ask me, "Just one"??
    :) its like he thinks Im going to buy a lot to unlock and resell later.

20. zetsurin macrumors regular

What do you mean by "I have cared anything about hacking". That means you really cared a lot. If you actually wrote that you "haven't cared" then it would make the whole thing a lot funnier (well, ironic anyway) as it would then actually make some sense.

21. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

OTB 1.1.2 can be both activated and jailbroken.

You got yourself a phone with the old bootloader though :cool:, so you can unlock it if you want.

22. VenomousSVT thread starter macrumors 6502

ahh, so there we have it. Owned by a grammatical error, again...LOL

yes, what I meant to put was that I havent care about hacking the phone.
    I'll edit the first post now

23. VenomousSVT thread starter macrumors 6502

that I know, however there is a greater risk of bricking a OTB 1.1.2

24. GTiPhone macrumors regular

Hate to say it, but thats so retarded.

Unlocking that is. Hacks, apps, yes I get that...it simple, software only bs type stuff...

Unlocking is a joke. What are you options? T-Mobile. THATS IT. Are they better than AT&T? NOT EVEN CLOSE.......

SO WHY UNLOCK.......

Oh....I know......people cannot get AT&T contracts can they...........I finally figured it out......