So I went to the Apple Store today to Play with MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by wnxgenral, Jun 17, 2008.

1. wnxgenral macrumors 6502

So since I really want to buy a MBA, I went to the store today to mess around with one and see what it could do... I ended up opening like 7 programs including iTunes, Microsoft office, Keynote, iMovie, Safari... and the thing still performed great, I'm thinking to myself... Whats the catch? So I check out the specs, both the MBA's on display are the 1.8 SSD's... which in my opinion is a bit deceiving because most customers go for the 1.6 standard HDD... Although there are like a thousand threads on this, my question is to the people that ended up buying the HDD/1.6 in the store... were you disappointed when you got home?

2. Heavenkittykat macrumors regular

of course not, my MBA is one of the greatest computer I've ever had. It does everything that i wanted to do w/o problems. I don't know about you but in almost every apple store I went to there is always a standard 1.6/80 HD display that you can play with.

I had my MBA for more than 3 months and it has been an excellent laptop and travel companion

3. Grizzly Adams macrumors member

I really like my MBA despite it's quirks. I do have problems when I am watching video (itunes movies, youtube) for a bit but that isn't too much of a problem but if it persists than it will become one I will have to take up with apple.

4. DaveOZ macrumors regular

My Air is rock solid. I've not experienced any of the problems people have posted on here, remember most people only post when they have a problem. Mine is the SSD Air and I can run all my programs I want including SketchUp and photoshop. I use a simple program call FileSyncronization to sync all my Document with my Mac at work and I use .Mac sync to keep my mail, Address Book and Cal up to date. I use iPhoto Library Manager to carry a slim version of my huge iPhoto library with me. I have an old WM6 JasJam with a 3G sim in it which I have setup as a WiFi router that lives in my bag, this means I can open the Air anywhere and have 7.2Mb net access. I love it. :D

5. AstroHouse macrumors member

I'm happy with my week 5 MBA. No problems and I won't trade it until a 128 SSD is available.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

My father has the standard configuration and I can pick it up and do most everything without noticing a difference. Now when I put the two next to each other there is some difference moving files and other stuff. Remember part of the reason why they are so similar is because they have equal ram, which normally is not the case between the lower and higher ends of the spectrum. Go for it if you want the Air, I can't imagine you are going to be disappointed.

7. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

It's called advertising :) But consumers should be wowed by the thinness and the design

8. Hyperborean macrumors newbie

Woah - good point, the demo model I checked out today must have been the SSD version as well... ah ha!

Well - last question before I make a purchase: Is the 80GB 1.8" HDD upgradable to an SSD when they come down in price in, like, 6 months?

9. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

The MBA is quite a laptop... but I think before listening to other's bad reviews you just need to go and try it out for yourself.

10. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

I love my Air - its the basic one but does exactly what I want. It is what it is and thats what I got it for.. It does power stuff ok, but I usually use the desktop Mac for that...

I say the 1.6/HDD is great and the 1.8/SSD is way too much money for what you get. When the 1.2" SSD;s drop in price Ill get one and pop it in - the CPU Speed doesnt worry me at all.

Luckily my local mac reseller are descent people and show'd me the mac id asked about.

:)

11. AstroHouse macrumors member

It can be done. Anandtech showed how:

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3226&p=13

12. Hyperborean macrumors newbie

And they did what they set out to do very well! Thank you.

Yet - if it costs more to order a SSD from the link provided by Anandtech than having one come pre-installed by Apple, I think I won't have to worry about this until the price goes down.

13. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

14. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I have a 1.6 ghz HD model and have no problems with it. Works great; nearly as fast as my 2.0 core duo iMac.

15. jonswan macrumors regular

My 1.6/80 works perfectly, though the fans come on with videos after a while - but this isn't a desktop, right? For heavy duty stuff, you need an iMac. And also, why the hell would you really want 7 different programs running?