So if an "unlocked" iPhone 4S won't work on domestic carriers...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Johnny Steps, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Why is it that Verizon, when I went to one of their stores, told me that they would take my Sprint iPhone 4S and make it work with their carrier? They said since I have a SIM slot, they could make it work. (The manager and two employees told me that at the store)

And a AT&T employee also told me they could make my phone work with their carrier (but in this case it was a sort of kiosk store in the mall)

But I see topics here saying it won't work... And yes my Sprint iPhone 4S was bought before 11/11/11 but I did restore it once. So are they lying to me or what? Thank you for the help.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They are just misinformed. You can call up Verizon or AT&T customer service and they will tell you. Some of the mall kiosk salespeople will tell you anything to get you to switch and then when they find out they were mistaken will make you purchase a device from them.

3. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can always sell the 4S and make up for the etf if you really want to switch.

5. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

6. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Verizon and Sprint are both CDMA networks. They don't use the SIM card. The phone must be programmed for their network.