So if I buy it unlocked...and it has LTE...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by inspirations365, Sep 5, 2012.

1. inspirations365 macrumors regular

Hey all,

I have AT&T, and I am considering buying the new iPhone unlocked (IF it has enough features to REALLY differentiate it from the 4s I'm currently sporting.

With all this talk of a new SIM form factor and LTE, I'm growing concerned that I will not simply be able to pop out my micro-SIM from my 4s, pop it into my new iPhone, and LTE away (I won't have to change my plan, right?!).

I'm assuming Apple will, as with the more recent iPhones, offer the new one unlocked for full retail price. How would I go about transferring my number to the new phone? I'd have to ask AT&T if the SIMs were different, huh?

So that's two questions:
    If it's the same form factor (nano-SIM vs. micro-SIM), I can just swap, right?
    If it's not, even if I buy it unlocked, I'd still have to consult AT&T to get the number moved I suppose?

2. satchow macrumors 6502

Yeah, even if it's not factory unlocked, since you're putting an AT&T sim into an AT&T locked phone it will work.
    So either take out a pair of scissors and trim down the microsim into a nanosim and put it in (shouldn't have to do anything else) or just go to AT&T and ask for them to activate a nanosim for you to put in your new phone. I doubt they'll charge you anything for the sim, but some companies do. Shouldn't be more than $10 though.

3. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

If its the same then you can just swap sims. If the form factor is different then you can just go to an AT&T store and get another sim card and put it into the new iPhone. The sim card should be free.

4. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Wanted to know about this as well, specifically regarding a grandfathered unlimited plan. Will I be able to use LTE without changing my data plan?

5. jpcarro, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

jpcarro macrumors 6502

jpcarro

The nano-sim is supposed to be a hair thinner than a micro-sim, so just cutting it down may not be enough. May have to sand down the back with fine sand paper. PITA.

I'm considering buying off-contract unlocked from Apple as well. If I buy unlocked this year, I'll possess a slightly more valuable "unlocked" iPhone 5 for resale next year. So next year, buying a fully subsidized iPhone 5S on contract would return some of the extra cost from this year.

2012 Apple Unlocked:
    $649 iPhone 5 Unlocked 16GB
    -$350 sale of iPhone 4S AT&T 16GB
    -----
    $299 total cost

2013 AT&T 2yr Contract:
    $199 iPhone 5S AT&T 16GB
    $36 upgrade fee (maybe get waived)
    -$400 sale of iPhone 5 Unlocked 16GB
    -----
    $165 total saving

So, lay out $299 (unlocked) this year and get back $165 (back on contract) next year for a net cost (over both years) of $134?? Versus costing $135 each year to upgrade early on contract.

2012 AT&T 2yr Contract:
    $199 iPhone 5 AT&T 16GB
    $250 early upgrade charge
    -$350 sale of iPhone 4S AT&T 16GB
    -----
    $135 total cost

2013 AT&T 2yr Contract:
    $199 iPhone 5S AT&T 16GB
    $250 early upgrade charge
    -$350 sale of iPhone 5 AT&T 16GB
    -----
    $135 total cost

Still mulling it over.

6. monkeydodo3 macrumors member

Or you should be able to just ask AT&T for a nano SIM to replace your micro SIM considering that they do this for free right now except it's replacing normal SIM's with micro SIM's atm.

7. james92se macrumors 6502a

That really sucks if we have to go to AT&T to get a SIM. Can you imagine trying to do that on launch day? Takes all the convenience out of pre-ordering.

8. satchow macrumors 6502

No you won't have to go to an AT&T store, the phone comes with a micro/nanosim. To activate it you just have to plug your phone into iTunes.. It's just easier to swap SIMs (especially since that means you wont have to pay that stupid $36 upgrade fee).

9. james92se macrumors 6502a

But I thought the unlocked iPhone did NOT come with a SIM? :confused:

10. satchow macrumors 6502

My apologizes, I forgot we were talking about unlocked iPhones. I'm not too if it comes with one or not.

11. CoriG macrumors 6502

Will unlocked or full retail phones be available on launch day? I was considering buying one as well so that I can upgrade next year, but I thought unlocked and full retail phones are not available until a month later.

12. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Pick up the phone & call AT&T.

Or let some people here tell you stories based on assumptions.

WE DON'T KNOW. Situations like this are subject to change.

13. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

I don't think popping the sim in will automatically give you lte. AT&T has to provision your account for lte. Your plan however will not change, it's something on AT&T's part.

14. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

AFAIK you will have to get a nano sim from AT&T and have them activate it with your phone number (assuming the new iPhone does use a nano sim). It should either be free or like ten bucks. Once that's done, just pop it into your new iPhone and you're good to go.

That's how it was with the previous releases, so I think it would be safe to assume Apple will do the same thing this time.

15. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

If they are using a nano sim, you can go to ATT and ask them for a new nano sim. It's free. I did it with my i4 and i4S. And my unlimited 3G data still stay. I also switched from an iPhone plan to Blackberry and back to iPhone. Data plan still the same.

With the LTE, I'm not sure if they will still honour the grandfathered data or not. The phone isn't out yet. Nobody here knows for sure.

16. Ent macrumors regular

An AT&T rep I spoke to said when going to an LTE phone with unlimited data, the cap is increased from 3gb to 5gb. I assume going back to a regular non LTE phone will revert back to the original 3gb. I was talking about the galaxy s 3 but it should apply to the new iPhone as well.

17. tbaker00 macrumors member

What if a person was to do the same but with Verizon. Buy a factory unlocked phone and want to use it with Verizon, IDK if Verizon has sim cards or not or how it would work...please advise