So If I turn on my contacts to sync /back up with Icloud will I lose them?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aliensarecool, Mar 3, 2012.

1. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Does it take my phones and put them I'm iCloud or take what is in i cloud and put them In my phone? I have some in my icloud that are old and unneeded. And some dupes. How cAn I send the contacts on my phone to ICloud? Should I delete everything on iCloud? I just wanna be sure I do it right because I've tried before and lost some contacts but one time I had all these annoying duplicates which was a pain. Maybe I don't understand how iCloud works. I kinda gave uP on it for a while but thought its a near feature if I could use it properly.

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Interesting question as after I choose to sync with the cloud, I can no longer sync my contacts and calendar via iTunes to MS Outlook. When I do NOTHING moves to Outlook, it is like there is nothing there!

Hope someone answers!

3. aliensarecool thread starter macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I just want my contacts backed up not thru iTunes in case something happened. I jus want an extra contact backup!

4. Martyimac macrumors 6502a

Martyimac

My experience has been that icloud is the master list, not the backup. What that meant to me was when icloud lost my contacts, all the contacts on my devices that were synced to icloud disappeared. This is why I do NOT sync to icloud anymore.

One thing that Apple changed between mobilme and iCloud was the option to decide whether or not to let "the cloud" make changes to my devices. iCloud does not have that option.