So if there is a new iPhone... What becomes of ther app situation?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by biosci, Jun 6, 2010.

1. biosci macrumors 6502a

Well, if the rumors are true, what happens if we do get a higher res iPhone in the near future? Are going to have to pay for yet another resolution adapted app? Some apps already charge for their XL versions for the iPad! So will there be 3 sizes now of apps?

2. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

3. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I don't think so. I think that it will be up to the app developers to update their current iPhone apps to support a higher resolution screen. Older apps will still work too, just in a lower quality.

But you know who will tell us for sure? Steve in about 27 hours ;)

4. biosci thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah you guys are right... we'll know soon enough. It's just getting old already with the purchasing of multiple copies of the same app and I've done it just for the iPhone and iPad. But now with a possible higher res iPhone.. I'm a bit worried.

5. No ice please macrumors 6502

It will most likely use XL apps and just downscale.

6. kopite19 macrumors regular

If the screen resolution is the reported 960*640, all current apps will look and work the exact same as it's basically just double the resolution.

Newer apps will utilise the full pixel capability of the 4th gen iPhone, but current apps would function as per and you wouldn't need to download/purchase another.

7. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

This.

8. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

I think the problem is more for older users still on a 3G/S, aol they be able to run the newer "high res" applications or will they be required to download a separate low res version, in which case we will see three versions of applications in the store. I suppose another possibility is that developers will just continue developing apps at the lower resolution in order for it to remain compatible with all hardware. Or perhaps the older hardware will just be ushered into retirement quickly... We'll see on soon...

9. JReinn macrumors member

Maybe Apple will change the app store, so when you buy an app you can choose your iPhone model (your resolution) and it'll download the version that works for you. And if you bought the new iPhone you could just re-download your apps in the new resolution.

10. J.711 macrumors newbie

J.711

I think they'll be renamed to "HD Apps" like the iPad since the iPhone 3GS is now expected to be the "lower end" model.

But more importantly.. the MICRO-SIM!! seriously confused with this one. You're telling me I'm gonna have to get a micro-sim just to use the iPhone 4g?! since most of the world doesn't use micro sim's how would I use my iPhone if I went on vacation??

11. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

I like the way you think:) That would be a nice way to do it.

12. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

Here you go;) http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/04/cut-my-sim-does-as-its-name-commands/

13. NJMetsHero macrumors regular

They have to update the screen sometime. It can't stay the same forever, it's been the same for a few years now. As long as they don't do it every year it's fine.

14. J.711 macrumors newbie

J.711

yeah i've seen this before. i just find it a little silly that i'd have to cut my sim. not only that, let's say for example my iPhone were to die or in some other situation that I'd have to use a spare phone, I'd have to literally make an adaptor then?

15. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

I'm guessing developers will be required to supply graphics/UI/layouts for both screen sizes in a single .ipa package. iTunes will do the behind the scenes work, identify which iPhone you have and sync the appropriate data.

i.e. essentially two apps in one package, but the user is unaware.

16. iMacDragon macrumors 68000

iMacDragon

Something like that, apps certainly aren't going to have radically different UI's like ipad, screen is too small for that, it'll just be higher detail.

17. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

if you download ON THE DEVICE ther eis no real need for that.

There wont be separate apps. All apps will be the same.

18. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

I think the apps will have graphics/UI/layouts for both resolutions - the correct set will load on the correct device.

19. carebearsx3 macrumors regular

Ooooh! I have an idea! Pick me! Pick me! LOL.

What if it's a bit like games on the computer? Like if your computer sucks (3G/S), you can lower the quality, and if you have a brand new Alienware set-up (Next-Gen), you can use the native resolution/HD. Or like someone else said, OS 4 will load apps in the resolution depending on your iPhone, so it's easier for the consumer.

20. kodek macrumors member

Guys, Apple already fixed this issue. They call it Universal apps.

Right now, they have apps that are compatible with both the iPhone and the iPad, and depending on which device the app is loaded, a compatible user interface is loaded. If you install an older app, it will just scale to the new resolution, which would look exactly the same as the current iPhones. Support the developers that take advantage of this technology and don't charge you twice for the same app on different devices.