Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ommid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
That apple choose to replace,

Do they replace it with a 3GS 16GB or do they have hoards of the old 3Gs and change it like for like at the genius bar?

Thanks all :D

Tell me your experiences, hoping to get mine changed, because the power button has sunk in :eek:

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
You'll get a 3G, no chance of getting them to swap it for a 3GS.

Unless you have repeated repeated repeated issues, or you get really bad service and you complain to their customer relations team, then they may give you a 3GS as a show of good faith.

Ommid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Unless you have repeated repeated repeated issues, or you get really bad service and you complain to their customer relations team, then they may give you a 3GS as a show of good faith.

I guess my question was asking, what is the standard protocol, wasn't sure if they still had the 3G you see

Ommid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Oh, no, you will get a 3G as standard procedure. I was just saying it is possible, but not in your case. You'll get a 3G.

I bought the 3G just before the 3GS came out, so I have warranty till May 2011, surely they won't still have 3G ones then :O

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
I bought the 3G just before the 3GS came out, so I have warranty till May 2011, surely they won't still have 3G ones then :O

Sure they will. As long as someone with a 3G is still under warranty, they HAVE to have refurbs. Legally speaking, unless they want to dish out newer models, which they will avoid at all costs.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

My 2G Applecare goes until Dec of this year, I'm pretty sure they'd have a phone for me if I needed a replacement.

avediswolf

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Ohio
I'm sure once Steve Jobs gets the push message that there are no more iPhone 3G 16GB units under warranty, he'll send the message to China to stop production.

Seriously, I'd bet they will keep them around as long as some are under warranty.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
They will replace it with the same model. My iPhone 3G 16GB was made in October 2009 after it stopped selling. I had to get my Original iPhone 8GB swapped out in September. The replacemnt was made in September 2009. That's 15 months after the phone was discontinued. Over a YEAR. Don't worry you'll get the same one. My originals iPhones warrenty runs out July 18, 2010. They will still replace it with an Original. Even though it has been discontinued for 24 months.

MasterDev

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
I'm sure once Steve Jobs gets the push message that there are no more iPhone 3G 16GB units under warranty, he'll send the message to China to stop production.

Seriously, I'd bet they will keep them around as long as some are under warranty.

They don't produce them anymore, they will give you a refurbished iPhone.

lollicup

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2009
Tell me your experiences, hoping to get mine changed, because the power button has sunk in

uggh

OP it's painfully obvious what you are up to.

clearly you have buyers remorse, and are just trying to get a free 3GS

Apple, and no other company has ever had the policy of replacing old hardware with new hardware.

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
I ended up with a 3GS when exchanging a defective 3G.
They gave me the replacement in bag - did not test in the store as I was in a hurry. When I got to my office, I was surprised to see it was a 3GS instead of a 3G and then noticed the paperwork was for someone else's phone. The store gave me the wrong bag and surely someone else got my 3G instead of the 3GS they had replaced.

I returned to the store to give back the 3GS that was not mine. The manager then told me that I could keep the 3GS that was given to me as a mistake and corrected the paperwork so it would be in my name.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
My wife's white iPhone 3G 16GB was recently replaced under AppleCare for a broken ringer switch. It was swapped out for an identical phone.

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
I ended up with a 3GS when exchanging a defective 3G.
They gave me the replacement in bag - did not test in the store as I was in a hurry. When I got to my office, I was surprised to see it was a 3GS instead of a 3G and then noticed the paperwork was for someone else's phone. The store gave me the wrong bag and surely someone else got my 3G instead of the 3GS they had replaced.

I returned to the store to give back the 3GS that was not mine. The manager then told me that I could keep the 3GS that was given to me as a mistake and corrected the paperwork so it would be in my name.

Wow... honesty FTW. Don't see that often here on MR..... cool that they let you keep it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.