So if you have movies encoded for old iPhone screens, what will we do now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hellishness, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I have a few movies that i got from dvd's (i own the dvd's) and encoded to the iPhone's screen with HandBrake. It works great, but will these have to be re-optomized for the iPhone 4's retina display? I want to know because I was going to do a couple more today, but I will wait if they won't work or will be crappy quality on the iPhone 4's screen. Thoughts?

2. sananda macrumors 68020

I'm just encoding some music videos now. Previously they were present iPhone sized but now I have an iPad and I guess I might get iPhone 4.

So I'm using the High Profile preset.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

They will look EXACTLY the same on the iPhone 4 screen as they do now.

If you're happy with that, do nothing.

If you want them to look better, then sure, re-encode them. But that's more time and memory taken up.

I'll probaby re-encode a few of my favorite movies, but the vast majority of them I'll leave alone. I was fine with the way they looked before so why shouldn't I just leave them that way?

EDIT: I should say, going forward I'll be using the larger profiles. I don't see any reason not to. But to go back and RE-do stuff? I'm really not all that interested in that.

4. Hellishness thread starter macrumors 65816

Hellishness

So if you encode with the High Profile preset, will they sync onto the iPhone or will you get the message saying that they were unable to be transferred for some reason which I forget?

And the quality now is ok, but if I can get it better on the iPhone 4, I will.

5. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

I've been using the Handbrake universal preset since they introduced it as I also have an AppleTV - looking forward to seeing all my existing encodes in even more detail on the new iPhone display! (compared to the older iPhone)

6. sananda macrumors 68020

They're syncing to my 3GS so should be fine for iPhone 4, I suppose.

Edit: Not all synced to 3GS. I had to redo those with Normal preset.