Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Haven't heard anything from Apple regarding fixing it, not too much stuff online about it either. My laptop recognizes that there's a monitor but all I get is a black screen until I unplug and replug it in a few times and hope for the best. Seems to always work when I bootcamp to Windows too so clearly it's a software issue that can be fixed? Can I somehow get Apple's attention with a bug report so they can fix it? I'd like to be able to use an external monitor when needed, anyone else having this issue? Is it just the hub should I get a new hub?

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
What hub and cable are you using, and what ports are available on your monitor? What monitor is it?

Yes, others are having issues with external monitors, though I don't how many haven't been able to fix them.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
I'm using a HooToo https://www.amazon.com/HooToo-Adapt...8&qid=1490989583&sr=8-3&keywords=hootoo+usb+c hub to connect my HDMI to a Samsung (S24D390) monitor with basically just an HDMI out on it.

It's very random when it happens, sometimes right when I turn on my laptop and other times when I walk away and come back to it. Figured since it's a refurb form October 2016 all these kinda issues would be settled with software patches on OSX so I figured maybe it was my hub itself but not sure. Others have had the issue too tho and haven't seen a solution posted yet.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
HDMI has been troublesome with the new MBPs, partly because the hubs and cables are often not so great. Hopefully someone can chime in here with some advice on a reliable combination, if there is one. I've read good things about the Pluggable USB-C to HDMI adapter, which you could try in one port while charging through the hub with the other port.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FIVSC6Y/

That your connectors work in Boot Camp does suggest it's at least partly a Mac OS issue. Yes, you can file a bug report with Apple, or call their support line and see how far you can get that way.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
HDMI has been troublesome with the new MBPs, partly because the hubs and cables are often not so great. Hopefully someone can chime in here with some advice on a reliable combination, if there is one. I've read good things about the Pluggable USB-C to HDMI adapter, which you could try in one port while charging through the hub with the other port.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FIVSC6Y/

That your connectors work in Boot Camp does suggest it's at least partly a Mac OS issue. Yes, you can file a bug report with Apple, or call their support line and see how far you can get that way.

That adapter actually says not compatible with late 2016 MacBooks which is my model. I did hear the problem may be due to the wider color gamut or brightness, perhaps needing a better "high speed" HDMI cable. I was using an old one so I switched it out for my newer Xbox One S HDMI cable. It's been better but it still went out this morning so I tried resetting the SMC an hour ago. Hopefully that helps gonna test it out a bit tonight and see if I can replicate the black screen issue again somewhere along the line.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I noticed that at the Amazon description, but the company website says it is compatible, and some people using MBPs have had success with it.

http://plugable.com/products/usbc-hdmi/

My plan is to try it with an HDMI 2.0 cable I already have. But that's just a plan, so not much to go on.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I have similar issues with my 2015 15" rMBP. But, only with certain monitors. Have you tried other brand monitors?

Sometime I had to power cycle the monitor off and on a few times to get it to sync up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.