So I'm in my every day account on my Mac but the admin password will not authenticate

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marbles, Sep 29, 2008.

1. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Ok , I'm trying to install some software on my everyday account , when I enter the admin password , it's refused ?

...I've rechecked the PW several times , logged into the admin account just to check and no prob's getting in there .

I'm confuzzled , why won't my admin password let me install software ?, the account I'm trying to install in is a standard one , the password/admin name is correct :confused:

I'm on 10.4.11 but don't suppose that makes a difference in this instance ...or does it ?

thanks for any help ....I need to install printer software asap.

2. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

It's probably easier on your brain to boot off the OS X installation disk, and reset the password. :)

It's Monday: figuring out the "why" will just hurt.

3. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Booting off the OS X will give an option to change password/admin rights? I'm having trouble of this nature myself, and would love to know more.

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

this is why i always have 2 admin accounts setup - just in case of any funny business i can reset accounts quick

5. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Yes, when you boot off the installation disk, one of the options under the menus at the top is "Reset Password" (or something to that effect.)

I've used it a handful of times, before we started to lock down the admin accounts, and create user level accounts for the standard production artists.

6. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

Hi Brad & thanks for the input .

I'm aware of the install disc option but ( I know it's the 'why' but I'm like that :)) wouldn't it affect the admin account when logging in too ? .....this is just happening when I'm trying to install software in my 'every day' account.

It's bugging the life out of me ( 'scuse the pun)

7. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Ah, brain flash. I see what you mean.

You are logged in under a USER level account, try to install software, get the username/password dialog, and your admin login attempt is refused. BUT, you can log into the ADMIN account, and I presume add applications at that point. Is this the case?

If so, my "brain friendly" recommendation is to log in as the admin to install. Doesn't solve your problem, just bypasses it.

I am curious: have you (separately) tried both the full AND short admin user names when authenticating the software install?

8. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

Yes, that is the case here .

I have done the bypass by getting into my admin account.
    Thing is , I'm the type of guy who want's to know how to fix 'things' that I have and try my best to understand what's going on with what little I possess , the computer has been by far the most interesting learning curve I've had so far and ...I must say , I enjoy working out these little oddities that come up from time to time :eek: .

I have tried both long and short admin names to no avail & all that's been suggested .

Curiously , when I logged into the admin account last night to install some software , I was refused because apparently I'd entered the incorrect password ...I checked very carefully that I was entering the correct one but , nah , wouldn't let me in .Tried several times too.

Then I logged out and back into the admin acc' & bingo ! installed no bother , same carefully checked password ...weird if you ask me .Maybe hackers messing about , I don't know ?!

Just a curiosity to me that I'd like to understand ..... maybe I should take a UNIX course ??

oh , thanks for the help :)

9. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

Despite creating a new admin account & resetting the password , I still cannot install software from my 'everyday account" ?? I am using the correct password .....sometimes it'll let me ....sometimes it wont .....seems very 'PC 'to me that ....whats going on here....anyone ???