So, I'm on 4.0.1 JB(me) and I know were on 4.2.1 now, Whats the easy way?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by OverSpun, Jan 28, 2011.

1. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I havent followed the forum since Jailbreakme came out, but my phone does weird stuff with the multitasking freezing it, so I hoped that upgrading to 4.2.1 with a new JB file.

Anyone have ideas? I'm on Snow Leopard too, if it helps if Jailbreakme isnt used anymore for the current version?

Thanks!

2. CZK macrumors 6502a

CHeck cydia to see what blobs you have saved.

Restore to 4.0.1 again in my opinion. 4.2.1 brings nothing that worth losing your untethered jailbreak or paying 100$ to gain acces to the 4.2b3 fw.

3. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

What Iphone do you have? With new bootrom 3GS and IP4, 4.2.1 JB will be tethered. If you have 4.2b3 SHSH files saved, you can try the beta untethered JB for them.

4. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I would assume for the beta w/ designing apps? I'm just not really excited spending $100 for 4.2b3. =/

I am on a iP4 @ 4.2.1JB. Cydia on the top just says- iOS 4.0.1, 4.0.1, 4.1, 4.2b3, unless I'm not looking at the right screen for this. I def. want to use my Mywi until my home internet has issues. :)

*Thanks about your posts so quickly! :D

5. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

I would use saved the 4.1 SHSH, download and run Tinyumbrella to save your SHSH files locally, start Tinyumbrella TSS Server mode, through itunes restore to 4.1, and then, untethered JB that with Redsnow, Limerain or Greenpoison.

It's better than trying beta 4.2.1 JB, but you an can do that since you have the 4.2b3 SHSH saved. And, I am not very familiar with that JB, so maybe someone else can help you or try google.

6. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

It is strange though, cause I'm running the first jailbreakme through the iphone safari months back on 4.0.1. Thats why I'm confused because I shouldnt have a 4.1, 4.2.1 SHSH, unless that tag on cydia proves that my current SHSH works for later iOS's. I never even tried until now, because I never heard of any new JB's for 4.1, 4.2b3 or anything.

Do you recommend which program between red,lime,green for a mac?

7. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

As for why Cydia has all those SHSH files saved, it's because you probably click on "Make my life easier." Once you do that, Cydia will continue to save future SHSH files once they are available. And, what SHSH files you can save has nothing to do with what firmware your iphone is running, but only what Apple is signing / sending out.

As to what JB method to use, I would always suggest one made by Dev Team, ie Redsnow or Pwnagetool.

8. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

Thats awesome. So pretty much upgrade to 4.1, and use red/pwn?

Does the 'make my life easier' thing just automatically download all my apps than writing down all my cydia apps, and downloading again? Ive never used it before.

Thanks!!

9. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Instructions:
    1) Download the 4.1 IPSW. http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Firmware
    2) Download and Run Tinyumbrella. Save your SHSH files on your HDD. Then, run TSS Server mode.
    3) Through Itunes, restore with the 4.1 IPSW.
    4) Download and run Redsnow to JB the phone.

The "make my life easier" only saves SHSH files on Cydia's servers and nothing else.

10. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

youre the man! Thanks! I'll run this out pretty soon here. :D

11. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

I think it's PKGBackup that people around here as an alternative to the pen and paper method of upgrading and keeping your cydia apps/tweaks.

12. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You didn't specify if you needed unlock capability, but if you use pwnage tool for an upgrade to 4.1, you'll be able to keep an unlockable 1.59 bb (this'll also be useful to sell your phone in the future). Create the custom firmware with pwnage and then upgrade to the 4.1 custom firmware using the blobs.

13. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

Very good idea! I should unlock it, so it sounds like I should use pwnage tool!

So, basically use pwnagetool for 4.1 and use the 1.59bb with the custom firmware, and I'm all good? I just to make sure I do this all correctly without ruining my firmware issues past from unlocking.

Thanks! I'm glad I didnt start yet until you mentioned this.

14. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Pwnage creates a custom iOS firmware that will keep your 1.59 bb from upgrading. If your bb is already higher than 1.59, you can't downgrade.
    Of course you'll be using the custom firmware when you restore in iTunes.
    Don't forget to use myzhi's instructions as well.
    BTW, you may get an error message because your bb didn't upgrade. Before panicking, use tiny umbrella to kick out of recovery, then check your iOS and bb.
    Glad my suggestion was useful.