So I'm on my 4th iPhone 5 since January

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bravo2zero, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Bravo2zero macrumors newbie

I'd like a little rant about these garbage phone apple are now mass manufacturing.

I've had 4 of the things since January 2013.

1st , this bent and a shattered the screen while in my back pocket , £189 out of warranty replacement 1 week after it was delivered.

2nd , brand new from apple , arrived in January and 3 days later refused to charge or hold charge when connected to wall socket or my Mac mini. This was returned after 3 days under warranty.

3rd , the replacement , brand new from apple not white box warrenty swap from store, this worked fine till last month then same thing again. The phone lost charge while on power cord, turned off, got stupid hot , stayed at x% battery level for hours till charger was pulled out and put in quickly then it charged up.

4th , current ....... Still testing as it 4 days old.

Now the 3rd phone , issues with the idiots at Genius Bar.

Me, my phone will not charge or hold charge while connected to power cords

Them , its cos your phone is not on 6.1.4

Me, so not being on 6.1.4 breaks your phone ?

Them, yes you need to update.

Me, so its worked fine till last week and now its ( see above for issues )

Them, yes it's because your not updated.

Me, ok I'll update and I'll see you again next week.

What a waste of my time , money and to travel 50 miles to be told that !

I updated to iOS 7 to be a clever one , took it back and told them it was doing same even with THE latest software. I got a replacement in the end.

2. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Apple Store employees are told to not recognize any iOS release except for the latest official public release, so for now it's 6.1.4.

Personally I'd have stopped bothering with replacement phones after the third one, and I'd not put phones in back pockets for obvious reasons.

3. Bravo2zero thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah , I'm afraid this will be my last iPhone I've had one ever since 3G , 3G , 3GS,4 and 5. Non of the other models missed a heart beat but the 5 has given me nothing but grief.

Also the way I was getting told by the Genius Bar that I was was some sort of nutter making out faults that weren't there. The woman tip tapped on an iPad , shown me a square in green and said my phone was working 100% correctly. I told her I live in the real world and I don't care what your showing me I know there is a fault either with cord, power brick or phone. They just simply refused to test any of it until the device was updated.

It's like not them waking up to a phone 100% flat and the alarm not going off and being late for work is it , or getting up every couple of hours to make sure its still charged to get you up at 6am.

I just hated being called and almost lier.

4. cynics macrumors G3

Hmm, sorry to hear about your luck.

Oddly enough of the 4 good friends I have that have iPhone 5's all except one have had them replaced due to the lock button stop working. One of whom was charged because there was a nick on the corner and Apple genius said it happened because of abuse. I know that's not true though because the button wasn't working before she dropped it.

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there without problems though. I'm still using a 4S and I believe it experiencing hardware problems, it lags really bad and the battery only last about 3 hours. I've restored it from new and replaced the battery and its still exactly the same.

5. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

Myself went as well through 4 iPhone 5's. It's a shame their quality control decrease so much since the last model:

1 - Scuffed badly on the sides and back
    2 - Bent out of the box
    3 - Power button got stuck
    4 - Has scuffs on the chamfered edge, but I couldn't keep on playing the roulette anymore.

6. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Dreadful really, I'll be think very carefully before buying my next Apple product.

7. Superman80 macrumors regular

Ummmmmmmm

Apple would 100% refuse to acknowledge IOS7 and would ask you to return it to 6.1.4 before they would even look at it

8. Bravo2zero thread starter macrumors newbie

They refused to look at it on official 6.1.2. :mad:

Thing is I have no Internet access other than the phone so there was no way of updating it. I had to take it somewhere to get it updated, apple was going to update it in store but that was it and no testing for faults.

9. Oui macrumors 6502

Wow this was interesting.
    NOT!

On a side note I'm on my 6th iPhone since 2007 issues 0

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Clever one? No, because iOS 7 is not the latest software. They consider the latest to be 6.1.4.

As for your issues, sounds to me like you have a 4th phone and all is fine. The 3rd phone is no longer an issue because it was returned.

11. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Sorry for your battery issues but you can't possibly blame apple because you were silly enough to bend and shatter your phone. It's not apple's fault you're careless.

Maybe you would have more success if you didn't act like a jerk to the "genius"..... Just an idea.

12. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

hey guys guess what, im still using my launch day iphone 5 with no case, not one problem with it

should I start a thread?

13. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

It sounds like you have been very unlucky. My wife is on her second since October but she is the only person out of all of our friends to have needed a replacement on the iPhone 5. Its been very reliable for me I have to say. Good luck though with whatever you purchase next, but remember its not so easy getting replacements through HTC or Samsung. I've dealt with both in the past and it was Apple's customer service that helped me to choose the iPhone last year. Its one thing being annoyed you've had to go into the Apple store and have a straight swap so many times, but its a another to wait for two weeks while HTC fix a speaker or dead pixel because they don't have a replacement policy on a phone until you've had it repaired 3 times. :)

14. knux11 macrumors regular

any chance there's an issue with your power plug, cord, or actual power?

I by no means know enough to even think of this as a real possibility, but any chance that you have "dirty" power?

I know this may sound ridiculous, maybe it is, and any stereo equipment hobbyists may be able to elaborate, since it's an issue in the home stereo equipment world related to the electricity used to power the equipment (i think).

I think overall, just seems like you had 2 phone issues, one of which was immediately taken care of, and one bad apple store experience. the first one was obviously your fault. but since it's the same (uncommon) issue, and the second time it wasn't immediate, maybe there's a power source issue somewhere.

15. mcrto macrumors member

This is my second. First one was black and looked a mess after a few weeks so I went over to android with a htc one as a result. Bit stupid as it was a great phone but watched the key note for iOS 7 and I was lured back. This time got a white and it looks a good as new few weeks on so I'm happy. Not a single technical problem with either of the 2 5s I've owned though.

16. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

I am in the same boat. You would think we are in the minority if you read some of these threads.

17. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

a little common sense can go a long way. maybe...maybe not!

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, I'm in that minority too. I'm only on my second i5. The first one only had a bad mic. The second has scuffs and small little dings, but nothing serious and all do to normal wear and tear. Certainly nothing I'd take it back to the Apple store for as it's perfectly functional. It's not bent, the home and power buttons work fine and it's been a great device.

I'm happy with my purchase.

19. Elvergun macrumors 6502

Elvergun

I'm still 1st phone since December. It was perfect out of the box, and it is still perfect right now.

Perhaps if you had not bent and shattered the screen of the first one you would still be as satisfied as you were with your other iPhones.

20. palmharbor macrumors 6502

Cheap labor

21. AppleCruncher macrumors regular

That was pretty much my experience.

Pre-ordered and got it with a gouge...i mean deep on the screen right out of the box
    Second one had about a 2.5 inch scratch on the bevel
    Third at the counter wouldn't turn on and then the next one they pulled out had a crooked home button
    Finally got one that was ok, then was scuffed before I got it home. Posted it on e-bay that night and sold it in 1 hour.

I'm running a S3 till the iP6 comes out.

Wife got hers pre-order with scuffs, second one the volume button stuck, third she kept but didn't use till she got a otter box or something and then it went in a lifeproof when they finally came out.

22. stefanie7055 macrumors newbie

stefanie7055

I fail to see how "scuffs on the sides and back" are considered the phone's shortcoming.

Power problems I understand, and buttons not working, sure - that too. Anything else SHOULD be paid for by the customer - Apple does not have to cover your misuse of the expensive device they manufactured. Just because you got it for next to 0$ on some phone plan, doesn't mean it's not a sensitive piece of technology that you shouldn't toss around, sit on, expose to the elements...

I've never had a phone last less than 3 years. I was a BlackBerry user until January when I purchased my iPhone 5 - made more sense since everything else I own is Apple for work. I have a trustworthy case, and treat my phone as the valuable, sensitive computer it is.

23. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

I'm on my second replacement. My first phone (which came in October - I preordered it), the home button wasn't working and got a free replacement a few days later. That lasted me for quite a while until I stupidly dropped my phone in the toilet. Only had to pay $50 for an express replacement since I have AppleCare. I haven't had any problems since. Everything is working as it should. Even the replacement I had since October was in great condition, no scratches on screen or on the body. I kept it in a case and always have a screen protector on. This is my first apple product I've owned and I'm quite happy with it. Apple has helped me when I needed it and I expected them to charge me for the replacement cost of a replacement when I called to tell them I dropped it in water and they have helped me considerably. Apple shouldn't be expected to give a person a new phone because the owner is incapable of treating their device with care. It's an expensive phone - treat it as such. Take care of it as you should and everything should be fine.

24. TheProFTW macrumors regular

Yeah, but it's not that it scuffs easily, it comes scuffed out of the box, that's what I could understand.

25. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

Sometimes I wonder about these situations.. You must really have the worst luck in general to go through 4 phones in a few months. I've only had 2 iPhones the 3GS and the 4S and both have worked perfectly for me for the 2 years that I'm under contract. Hope your 4th is your last.