So i'm paying someone to stand in line for me.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by codybriana, Sep 19, 2013.

1. codybriana macrumors member

Anyone ever done this before? I posted an ad on craigslist for someone to stand in line for me at the apple store from 8pm Thursday night to 4 am Friday morning, at which time I will arrive and pay them, then they leave. Think i'll have any problems?

2. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Not sure where you are located, but I couldn't see how you would have a problem getting a phone, even if you showed up around store opening.

3. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Only two problems I could see is that the person doesn't stand in line, you show up to pay them, and are SOL. Other one would be that the people behind you could get pissed off at what you are doing and tell the Apple store staff so they kick you out of line?

Both are probably not probable, just was thinking of anything that could go wrong really.

4. Kurso macrumors 6502

Out of curiosity, what is the going rate for someone to stand in the dark all night with a bunch of strangers?

5. EricByer macrumors member

What's to stop them from getting in line at 3:59am and collecting 8 hours worth of pay? I'd meet them there at 8:00pm, note their/ your line position and then double check it at 4:00am before paying them.

6. codybriana thread starter macrumors member

I'm paying them $100. I live in OKC and when i went for the iphone 4 launch, I arrived at 5:30 am and there were 130 people infront of me.

----------

Yeah, i'm actually requesting picture updates through the evening. Like what their place in line is, how many people are there. My main concern is someone offering them more money for their spot.

----------

Well the first i hope to have mitigated by stopping by/requesting picture updates of the line. The second is actually solved because the person is also bringing their brother in case either of them needs to use the restroom or whatever, so when i arrive and pay them i'm actually replacing two people with one.

7. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

Shouldn't have any problems... I just think you have problems. :D

8. codybriana thread starter macrumors member

I do. :/ I'm really concerned (due to lack of preorders) that there will be severe constraints on Iphone 5S stock.

9. terzinator macrumors 6502

That would be sinfully delicious.

10. morecowbell macrumors member

I am paying one of my regular customers to wait on line for me, but i'll be there also. It allows me the freedom to go to the bathroom when needed. Also, he'll help me if there is pushing or if I run out of KIX.

11. codybriana thread starter macrumors member

I would be incredibly pissed/sad/.

12. user-name-here macrumors 65816

LoL

The "delicious" part had me rolling :p

Maybe that's what I'll do tomorrow morning, go to the Apple store and ask in the front if anyone is being paid to save a spot for someone... then offer $10 more ;)

13. codybriana thread starter macrumors member

Lol whatever the price, i'll beat it.

14. eddyecb macrumors regular

lol, this is awesome. OP you are a true baller!

15. deeddawg macrumors 604

Count on the guy calling his buddy to show up and shill bid the price up. :D

16. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

All I have to add to this thread is that I wish I had that kind of cash to throw around. :eek:

17. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

I had to laugh at the afraid of people offering them more money.. Totally possible. If i ever have to wait in a line I will keep it in mind to yell out asking who has been hired of craigslist and that I will pay more. :cool:

18. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

19. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

You can't go to the bathroom?. I don't see how it's a problem if you let the people behind and front of you know you're going to the bathroom.

20. morecowbell macrumors member

I'm not going to leave my Bongo's & food unattended. That's cray cray.

21. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I am doing the same as the OP....but it's my 2 teenage daughters that are going to camp out for me. I am not paying them but I'm sure it will cost me in the end.;)

22. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I see. It makes sense now.

23. NotAdvisable macrumors regular

NotAdvisable

Genius.

24. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yeah, I can certainly imagine the people nearby in an overnight line wanting to make a set of bongo drums "disappear"! :D

25. hagr182 macrumors regular

I would just wait a month after launch to get it, no big deal for me getting a phone at launch