So I'm running out of memory on my 16GB iPad 2...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Arcadia310, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Arcadia310 macrumors regular

Most of the memory is used on games (darn you iOS for having so many good games!). I have around 200 or so songs on here but I want to add more. Is there any way to uninstall games but still have the data backed up to iTunes or iCloud?

Out of all the devices I've ever owned (plenty of android smartphones, honeycomb tablets, and now the HP TouchPad) the iPad 2 is the first one where I have actually ran out of storage. I think that speaks pretty heavily for its usability, I'm definitely opting for the highest capacity iPad next time around.

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

if you have internet access, pandora or sugarsync (streaming your music) is one solution. an ipod is another. unselect the apps you want to have taken off your device next time you sync with itunes. itunes will remember it (you also have the purchases in your account i believe) and you can put them on again later.

the ipad with extra memory is absurdly expensive, in my opinion (you can only do one thing at once after all), and i'd prefer to manage my data better through a combination of cloud services, data management, and ipod music player.

but, i am poor :(

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Plug your iPad into iTunes, right click on the device (listed on the left of iTunes) and click "transfer purchases" and also back up the iPad. The apps should show up under the "applications' tab right above your "devices tab" on the left of ITunes

4. Arcadia310 thread starter macrumors regular

Will the data in the applications be backed up when I do this?

5. thewalkman macrumors member

6. Cooolpenner macrumors regular

Yes, it will.

7. bpear96 macrumors member

i really wish the ipad had a micro sd lot. my next tablet its definitely going to be android

8. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Wait for iOS 5 and iCloud, and you'll have access to your entire music collection without needing more memory on your 16gb iPad.

My android tablet all have Google's Music app on them, and without transferring any music over to them I can stream any song from my collection over WiFi or 3G when available.

9. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

Is iCloud going to be free or an extra charge?

10. erawsd macrumors 6502

This is not true. Unfortunately, Apple did an incredible job of dancing around the fact that iCloud does not support content streaming -- many articles have falsely reported that it does. Everything has to be downloaded locally, so you save no space whatsoever.

Really, they had no business comparing this crippled service to true cloud based storage solutions like Amazon Cloud and Google Music. They should have named it iSync. At best, its a Dropbox competitor, but still left in the dust feature-wise without a web interface or sharing. Hopefully, Apple intends to expand its feature set before the big roll out.

11. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Not true

12. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

A music streaming service sucks. How good does that work for you on an airplane? And all the service provides (at least in the U.S.) are getting rid of unlimited data. With the crappy data plans we now have, a streaming service would wipe out your data in a short period of time.

Amazon Cloud = complete crap. I don't know anything about Google Music. But I do know that I absolutely don't want to rely on a slow cell phone connection to stream my music.

13. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I purchased the 64GB iPad2 for this very reason...the capping and tiered data plans are only going to become more restricted and expensive especially for streaming video which already near prohibitively expensive ...I prefer to have a lot of content available to me locally/offline rather than having to be bent over by the service providers while remote...

14. erawsd macrumors 6502

No body cares about your opinion or experiences with music streaming. The guy is looking for ways to save space and iCloud offers little to none. Whether Amazon Cloud/google Music are "Complete Crap" is something he'll decide for himself -- you might have a soured experience but it works incredibly well for me.

15. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

If your finances permit, I would suggest selling your current iPad and upgrade to a 64gig. Ive managed to pretty much fill up my original 64gig iPad but have tons of apps, music and videos on it. You would get most of your money back on it at this stage

16. Arcadia310 thread starter macrumors regular

Even if you could stream content from iCloud, I wouldn't do it. I don't even have a 3G iPad and the 3G services from Verizon & AT&T can be pathetically slow at times. How stupid would it be if I'm playing music at a party and I have to sit there and wait 20 seconds while AT&T's unrealiable network slowly downloads the song.

17. palpatine macrumors 68040

it sounds like you are having a lot of bad experiences with your data plans, and i am sorry to hear about your misery, but i have had great experiences with sugarsync. i have an unlimited data plan at the moment, but most of my usage is at home or on campus anyhow, so it isn't really an issue. many people have similarly robust wifi environments at home and at work.

also, i think you misunderstood what i said. i was offering him options, not recommending that he sell his soul to his verizon / att overlords and go live in the cloud. if he is going to ride in a plane, he might want to choose the ipod option i suggested, just like you probably use liquid containers larger than 4 ounces at home. different tools for different tasks.

dollar for dollar, the ipod is a better deal if you have a lot of music clogging up your ipad. it also offers you the ability to save a bit of battery life on your ipad by spreading stuff across devices. it's an option that i have found quite satisfying. after all, i will probably be buying a new tablet every year or two, and there doesn't seem much point in spending a bunch of money on expensive memory versions each time.

18. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

Sell your iPad and get a 64gb. 16gb is just ridiculous IMO and 32gb is the bare minimum. With a 64 you will have ease of mind regarding storage issues.

19. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Free up to 5gb. After that, you'll get an email asking you to buy more storage, or remove something.

20. Jmouse macrumors 6502

No i dont think so.

21. mcarthon macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Audiogalaxy app is awesome wirelessly access your whole music library from anywhere. I only use it on my iPhone tho since it has 3G.
    And if your connection is taking 20 seconds to play a mp3 file you have much bigger problems to worry about.

22. Keleko macrumors 68000

I don't get the obsession with streaming over cell networks, either. Carriers are removing unlimited plans, so doing it is just going to use up your quota fast. It'll be faster and sound better to store music on your device. And, you don't HAVE to carry your entire music library with you everywhere you go. Remember when you had to pick and choose among CDs to put in portable sleeves? You can pick and choose which song to put on your preferred music playing device, too. I need at least a 128GB device to hold all my music with room for other stuff, so I don't even bother to try to fit it all.

Amazon Cloud looks like a better option than Google's at this moment. The price and storage is better, and if you buy music from Amazon (like I do) then you don't even have to upload your music. I balk at any service that requires you to upload your music, though. I'm not going to bother uploading my library to a service that's just starting out and have to pay to access it.

Oh, and as for how good it works on an airplane, I had WiFi on my last flight, so it would have worked just fine. That's a lot more common on flights now, so chances are good you'll be able to get internet access on a flight.

16GB works fine for me. I put my music on my iPhone and leave the iPad for my photos. I have the iPhone with me all the time, so the music is more accessible that way.

23. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

As far as iCloud is concerned, it's perhaps worth mentioning that Apple says...

"...Your purchased music, apps, and books, as well as your Photo Stream, don’t count against your (5 gig) free storage. That leaves your mail, documents, Camera Roll, account information, settings, and other app data. And since those things don’t use as much space, you’ll find that 5GB goes a long way."

Note the reference to "purchased" music etc. In my case I have about 2300 songs on my iPad, consuming about 12 gigs. Of those about 40 were "purchased" through iTunes; the rest come from my CD collection. Note also that movies, whether "purchased" or not, are conspicuously missing from the list.

In short, iCloud may provide useful additional storage for the iPad, but it's no panacea for those looking for a way to handle serious data overflow.

24. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Removing games will definitely free up space. If you have very high quality music (ALAC), that will eat up space as well.

Don't upgrade to a 64GB just yet - the problem lies in your space management. Afterall, you can easily fill up that highest capacity iPad and still want more memory.

The good thing for us 16GBers is that wireless sync in the next iOS will greatly remedy our data managing issues, in a cinch.

So, take off those games you really don't have to play every day and stick to a max 320kbps music files and you'll definitely be able to make it work.

You may still have room for a movie or three.