Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
My black iPhone 5 now has quite a few scuffs that are not really bothering me but I see how easy they can happen. The main reason I want to exchange is because randomly I get a line across the screen that starts flickering at the bottom by the dock.

It's not always there but it happens. My question is since I'm still within my 30 days I should have no problem exchanging it for a white one right?

Last edited:

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
You most likely won't be able to just exchange it. You'll probably have to return it, then purchase a white. And the issue is if they have white in stock.

Last edited by a moderator:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
You shouldn't have a problem exchanging for white. The day before it was released, I wanted black but changed my mind because of the complaints of the black scratching. I'm glad I did.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
My black iPhone 5 now has quite a few scuffs that are not really bothering me but I see how easy they can happen. The main reason I eat to exchange is because randomly I get a line across the screen that starts flickering at the bottom by the dock.

It's not always there but it happens. My question is since I'm still within my 30 days I should have no problem exchanging it for a white one right?

Your only problem may be locating a white one. Depends where you bought it. If you bought it through Apple and got a carrier subsidy, you'll have to make sure Apple has stock of the phone you want. If they don't get stock before your 30 day return period elapses, you'll be faced with the possibility of having to return it and wait for stock. Since Apple started the reservation system, I've heard that most if not all of the stock is eaten up by reservations. It's no longer a matter of just showing up at the store in the morning. And you can't reserve for an exchange because your carrier subsidy will already be used. I got lucky and did a return and replacement two days after launch, before the reservation program started.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Just a heads up: the white 5 looks just as bad when you get scuffs on the chamfer edges.

That's why my iPhone NEVER gets the factory plastic off until I get front and back protection. As soon as I got my iPhone by UPS at work, I went across the street and got front and back protection.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Just a heads up: the white 5 looks just as bad when you get scuffs on the chamfer edges.

I'm not so sure about that. Scuffs and scratches will be less noticeable on a white than a black, simply because there's no contrasting color to show through. Sure, you'll be able to see the scuff or ding, it just won't be as apparent.

NoOneHitsHarder

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Middle of nowhere
I'm not so sure about that. Scuffs and scratches will be less noticeable on a white than a black, simply because there's no contrasting color to show through. Sure, you'll be able to see the scuff or ding, it just won't be as apparent.

I saw it firsthand at the South Coast Plaza apple store display models so I can only speak from personal experience. Both the white and black looked like dog**** when they have scratches on the chamfer edges.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
FYI, you can't exchange for a different color at the genius bar...

You can return for any reason for 30 days and then purchase a different color. As long as they have the color you want and you originally purchased from Apple, they have to allow you to. But, no, you can't simply walk up to the Genius Bar with a phone your bought elsewhere and exchange for a different color.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I'll be going to a pretty big store, the flagship on 5th ave here in NYC.

*crossing fingers*

Good luck. The inventory should improve soon, hopefully before your return window closes. I'm very happy with the white. I was on the fence about the color when I preordered and got the black. But the early reports of scratching and the tiny nick on my bezel convinced me to do the swap.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I returned the black because it had functionality issues, snagged a white one through the reservation system two days later.

Not regretting it

Sjf73

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Shame you're not in UK. Everyone (except Apple according to its website anyway!!!) has 32GB and 64GB in stock.
I've just replaced my black with a white

andrewicloud

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
[/COLOR]
My black iPhone 5 now has quite a few scuffs that are not really bothering me but I see how easy they can happen. The main reason I want to exchange is because randomly I get a line across the screen that starts flickering at the bottom by the dock.

Was the unit defective out of the box or have they just shown up with normal use? :apple:

rangrbob

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
You can return for any reason for 30 days and then purchase a different color. As long as they have the color you want and you originally purchased from Apple, they have to allow you to. But, no, you can't simply walk up to the Genius Bar with a phone your bought elsewhere and exchange for a different color.

My local apple store told me they were sticking to a 14 day return period. Called apple support and they came to the conclusion that since the website says I have 30 days to return to the online store it was up to the individual retail stores to decide.

scgf

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
Market Harborough, UK
I returned my black iPhone 5 16GB to Apple and went out and bought a white 32GB. I was so disappointed with the black one - it always looked scruffy. I only had to touch it and I got fingerprints front and back and dust showed up badly.

I took delivery of the white one on Friday and used it through the weekend and didn't feel the need to wipe it clean until Sunday morning - and then it didn't really need it. I love it. Feel happy again :)

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
My local apple store told me they were sticking to a 14 day return period. Called apple support and they came to the conclusion that since the website says I have 30 days to return to the online store it was up to the individual retail stores to decide.

Wow, I just read on the website that iPhones purchased online were not eligible for return to the store. I wonder if they added that recently since so many people are trying to exchange for a different color. I was able to return mine without a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.