so Im using lion downloading my lion recovery system to a usb drive.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by fullfloridiancj, Sep 18, 2011.

1. fullfloridiancj macrumors regular

from my new mac book pro. Can I install it on my old snow leopard mac book pro. Or is it like registered only to my new mac. Will the apple police come and get me? I think if you buy it in the app store you can use it on 3 computers

2. waynep macrumors 6502

You can install apps bought from the app store on multiple macs that you control. The specific terms are easily found with searches here or on google. This includes Lion as well is purchased from the App store.

3. fullfloridiancj thread starter macrumors regular

but thats just it. I did not purchase lion from the app store. It just came with my new mac. And I would like to use it with my old mac

4. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

In that case you are supposed to purchase it in order to use it on your old Mac.

5. fullfloridiancj thread starter macrumors regular

I know thats what apple would like me 2 do. I just spent 3,000 on a 15 in pro. I want to save money not spend more

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So you spent 3,000 bucks on a MBP and are balking at spending 30 dollars. Technically trying to install an OS on a computer that you're not authorized too is piracy.

7. waynep macrumors 6502

You must have got some add-on options for that 15 MBP. Like above, $29 is a problem when you already have $3K in your MBP? The app store is the cheapest place to get it.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you want to make a backup Lion USB install key from your new machine, this article explains how to do it.

9. fullfloridiancj thread starter macrumors regular

OH I SEE lion is attached to the serial number of my mac so there is no way to download lion using the recovery disk of another macro you are required to download it through the app store