So is the 5C underselling or overproduced?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tymaster50, Sep 13, 2013.

1. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I just checked the apple site and it still says 9/20. Last year for the iPhone 5 it only took like what, an hour until the shipping date changed? Of course I could be looking at it wrong.

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Probably both. It is so much easier for Apple to produce the 5c in mass amounts.

3. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

And you want this question answered in the pre order period, right? :confused: We don't know enough unless someone has production figures and also Apple's take on how much to hold back from pre-order. Those are major variables. :)

4. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

I just made a comment about the possible target market in another thread for the 5C. This is sort of backing my thoughts up.

Apple likely isn't targeting the techies which means there won't be people rushing to grab the 5C like their premium (guess that's what we will call them now) version. First adopter crowd is an unlikely target market for the 5C so naturally it won't sell as quick as the 5S.

5. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

Neither.

Perhaps Apple have the necessary stock to match demand?

When pre-orders sell out, Apple gets criticism for insufficient stock...
    Seems they can't win.......?!!!!!

6. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

Seriously? Talk about impossible to please. If the date had slipped you would have claimed they didn't produce enough.

They're taking year old components and putting them inside an easy to manufacture casing. They should be able to slap them together in the blink of an eye.

7. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

It's not my upgrade period so I couldn't care what they do, I was just wondering if they had made enough of each color or more people just want a 5S

----------

more of a speculation question. Almost to the point of being rhetorical

8. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

This is possible and my guess

9. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

Overpriced. If it had the right price it would probably be oversold and underproduced.

10. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

11. oaktree macrumors regular

I never would have guessed that yellow would be the most popular. Interesting.

12. 50548 Guest

Crap is not supposed to sell regardless of how you call it - and Apple has finally released something that can be positively considered as crap.

13. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

probably he least stocked. who would want a yellow phone?

14. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Which one sells out first doesn't mean it is the most popular. In fact, it could just as easily be the least popular.

15. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

How is it crap? It's a slightly improved iPhone 5 at a considerably lower price than it was just a few days ago. If the iPhone 5, as-is in its aluminum shell, had been made the new lower-cost model at $99, Apple would have stripped out the 16 and 32gb options and hampered it with 8gb, just like they always do. Would that have been a good deal at $99? I can't believe people are bitching about a 16gb iPhone at $99, or the 32gb iPhone at $199.

You guys are falling for the marketing, not the other way around. Apple has made you believe that you need to spend the $100 extra to have something "better". For $100 less than I would have spent just a few days ago, I now get last year's great iPhone 5 with some improvements in a shell that won't ding or scratch with the slightest accident.

----------

Me. Bought one this morning. Lots of people, actually. Saw many comments on some stories on The Verge and many indicated yellow was the preferred color.

16. Lamarak macrumors 6502

And this is suppose to be more of a world phone, so probably made alot of these. And the 5s will sell out like you think, then all with the world will be well again.

And they prolly have a manufacture process in place for these that they dont have to put in a restriction for selling.

17. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's basically an iPhone 5 stuck in a cheaper case so it's not "crap", even if you do dislike it's appearance.

18. toxic macrumors 68000

injection molding a plastic case is much faster than machining a metal one. even if the internal arrangement was changed, they already have plenty of supply for the necessary parts - only the front camera and battery is different from the 5. with the 5s, they have to build up stock and refine manufacturing processes, on top of the extra manufacturing time to make a case.

the steel frame in the 5C will add some time, but shouldn't eat that much into the time difference since the 5S top/bottom sections have to be made too.

the yellow going out of stock can point to production issues which limited stock, or someone miscalculated demand, not necessarily that it's the most popular.

19. NickG420 macrumors regular

NickG420

20. Kurso macrumors 6502

Umm... which line was racist? There was no mention of race or suggestion that a color was tied to a race.

They did mention the a specific model of the Yellow phone was sold out in the US, Hong Kong and Canada but that is hardly an indication and/or implication that a specific race is buying it.

To me it is an indication that this particular combination was under-produced.

21. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

I might have bought the green one if it came with a 64 GB option. I love the way it looks. I just can't deal with going down in size and having to delete songs from my music collection. I might get the 5s if the reviews are good, but I'll probably wait until it is jail-broken. My 5 is fine for now, so I'm in no big hurry to upgrade.

22. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

The difference is that there was only one "new" phone last year. Now there are two and one can't be preordered.

23. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

There are also 30 variations based on color/size/carrier. 40 if the unlocked one is different than the regular GSM model, so there's lots of choices here.

24. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

My guess is that they started producing the 5C much earlier since it is essentially the 5 so not much had to be tweaked at the assembly line.

25. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

This. There has never been so many different models to choose from.