So is the new MBP free of the minor problems that plague the new MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by holycow, Oct 29, 2008.

1. holycow macrumors newbie

The screen seems to be a lot better. But what about the loose battery cover and tilted function keys? I've seen the complaint about the loose hinges, but that's about it.

2. Airborneforest macrumors newbie

Was at BB today looking at the lone Pro they had and thoroughly inspected it and found no defect's on the exterior. Screen is drop dead gorgous like stated before. Looks like the MB are getting the worst defects so far.

3. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

"Plague" is a pretty strong word. Keep in mind that people who get a defective product are far more likely to talk about it than people who are perfectly satisfied with their product.

I highly discourage judging the quality of the MB based on what you see here or on the Apple support forums. It's a vocal minority.

4. isaki87 macrumors regular

I have both the unibody macbook (2.4GHZ) and and unibody macbook pro(issued as a replacement to my previous 2.16 C2D), but I haven't had any problems with my macbook, however, with my pro, it just feels immensely bigger when compared to my previous MBP. Are any other owners feeling the same thing?

5. Crash1234 macrumors regular

After getting three mbp's and noticing issues even with the display models in my local apple store I do not think plague is too strong of a word. Yes, there will always be a few lemons here and there with any new product but I think apple's rate of faulty products is WAY higher than it should be. If the new notebooks were not plagued by issues then amung all the display models in the store and the three I had to return there should have been at least one good one. Yes, some people get lucky and get a flawless one, and some people just choose to ignore minor defects. All mbps I saw had loose hinges. All mbps I saw had warped lids. Two of the ones I had to return felt as if there was something clunking inside teh case when lifted even when it was turned off and one had a bad optical drive. And I personally did not get one that had a loose battery cover or slanted keys but there have been reports of mbps with those issues. So I'm going to say yes, the mbp is going to have the same issues as the mb.

Of course, I'm annoyed b/c of my bad experience, and I know there are mbp's and mb's out there that are flawless. I do still intend to buy this product in a couple of months as it is a beautiful notebook and it runs really well. It just has a bunch of niggling details that are a bit off. I'm hoping when I buy next time I'll get lucky and get a good one.

6. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

The battery cover issue takes all of about 90 seconds to fix. And if you don't, the machine is fine anyway. It doesn't really affect anything.

7. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Yes it does feel a lot better than my previous MBP.

8. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

the macbook pro we have on demo has a loose-er screen hinge than my SR MBP. Out of the box, we could tilt it toward us with the screen open and the screen would come down on our fingers.

i suppose the glass makes it a lot heavier, as well as the screen shell which seems to be cut instead of stamped like the old MBP.

9. Jeff Barlow macrumors member

Nevertheless, there ARE cosmetic issues and they are being discussed in multiple forums.

If you bought a new BMW and the paint had a blemish or crooked part, you wouldn't dismiss it because it really didn't affect anything ...