So is this the only way to unlock an iphone 4 on 4.2?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Alag28, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Alag28 macrumors 6502

With firmware 3.10.01

The only way i can successfully jailbreak and unlock my iphone 4 on 4.2 BB 3.10.01 is to install the ipad baseband and then run greenpoisin 4.2 untethered jailbreak, finally downloading ultrasnow?

and is it worth it in comparison whats going to be released next in terms of "unlocking" convenience?

Thanks

2. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

I thought the baseband upgrade worked only for the 3G S, am I wrong on that one?

3. Alag28 thread starter macrumors 6502

works for 3g/3gs and iphone 4

4. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

FALSE. Does not work on 4. Completely different baseband chip.

5. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Ah, but it DOES work on the 3G, good to know, learned something new. Thanks.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

be sure you understand all the positives and negatives before doing you can't go back!

from the Dev-Team blog!

WARNING — YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! PLEASE UNDERSTAND THE CONSEQUENCES OF UPDATING TO 06.15.

1. There is no way to come back down from 06.15, and there’s no hiding the baseband version from Apple. You’ll be voiding your warranty in a very obvious way.
    2. If some future baseband comes out with a critical fix, you won’t be able to update to it if it remains down in the 05.xx sequence (then again, you wouldn’t update to it if you wanted to keep your unlock anyway).
    3. Starting with FW 4.2.1 if you have 06.15 on your iPhone you won’t ever be able to restore to stock firmware (it will fail). You’ll need to only restore to custom IPSWs (then again, if you’re unlocker you should already be doing that).

Unlockers have been reporting mixed results about GPS functionality at 06.15.00. Until we can track down what differentiates those who retain GPS vs. those who lose it, be conservative and assume you’ll lose GPS at 06.15.00. As we work on finding the cause (and possibly a fix), please report your personal findings in our comments section. (Update: early indications are that while 06.15.00 is capable of GPS, it will require some further hacks. But please still be conservative and assume you will lose GPS at 06.15, in case the hacks don’t work).

Certainly don’t update to 06.15 if you don’t need to! Only do this if you need the unlock and you’re stuck on 05.14 or 05.15, and you’re willing to assume the above risks.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Only for 3G and 3GS you can install the ipad BB.
    There's no way currently to unlock an iphone 4 on official 4.2.1 or 4.1 firmware.