So is WTHR really keeping my GPS active? ...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cmeisenzahl, Jun 26, 2012.

1. cmeisenzahl macrumors 6502

Just installed (on my 4S) the beautiful weather app WTHR ( http://wthr.co/ ).

But I noticed that since I installed the app, the GPS/Location services arrow is on almost constantly, even when the app is not running in the foreground, or running at all. And the battery is getting run down as though I had a navigation app on in the foreground.

When I go into Settings->Location Services and disable them for that app, the icon instantly goes away. If I turn it back on, the icon comes right back.

Has anyone else run into behavior like this before? I restarted the phone but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. JAT macrumors 603

This paragraph answers your question with a Yes.

If the app's methods don't work, maybe it's not the right app for you. Or, does it actually need location services? Maybe it will work fine with that turned off.

3. cmeisenzahl thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, Jat. That's what I figured, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

4. cynics macrumors G3

Seems a bit excessive for a weather app. May want to look into alternatives to that app. I use latitude a lot so I always see the GPS icon on...doesn't bother me...lol

5. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

I noticed this for one of the recent updates. I tried turning off weather alerts as well. No dice. Haven't tried turning location services back on since the last update but I never really need it anyway since the weather doesn't vary much here is SoCal.

6. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

There's a bug in the app that locks the location in. Read it on Twitter today. There's an update going but for now you'll probably want to forbid WTHR from accessing your location until things are fixed.