So it has arrived. Afraid to get leopard, is it more stable then Vista as new OS?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Makube, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Makube macrumors member

Okay im a bit scared of new OSs. After i got vista for my other computer everything is f'ckd up. Ofc its not the same OS at all, but is Leopard more stable? Which are the known issues with it etc? I have a new SR MBP 17" so i hope it'll run pretty smooth.

Vista is a nightmare!!!

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Leopard is easily more stable than Vista from my experiences.

3. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

There are a couple of issues with some apps (especially Abobe)...and Disk Utility is in need of some TLC.

There are a few reports of applications crashing but that's no biggy if you ask me.

Apart from that it's fine. It's certainly not going to do what Vista did!

Go on, install it! All the cool people have! :cool:

4. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Updated today and it's running beautifully. No problems at all. I've had more problems in the past with Tiger updates.

If you rely heavily on 3rd party apps, check it out to see if they're affected, otherwise, jump right in, I say. :D

5. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Vista was actually very stable when I was using it.

Leopard is stable for me so far, with the exception of DivX Player. Using this locked up the computer and made the speakers scream at maximum volume. It was horrible!

6. Makube thread starter macrumors member

Vista stable. He's working for microsoft!!! Conspiracy!!

Jokes aside, ive had a nightmare using it.

7. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

I didn't so much have a nightmare, just realised 'hey - this is just XP with some transparent menu bars!'
    :D

8. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I had a similar issue with it locking up on me. I just ran the download utility under the system preferences pane for divx. I downloaded the latest release (sorry I don't know the release number) and re-installed. It worked fine on the divx web site. I haven't tried any local video yet though...

9. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

Ive had absolutely no problems, and Ive been on the computer probably 5 hours a day since I installed it on saturday morning. Granted im not running any other apps except, ilife08, iwork08, skitch, flip4mac, perian, firefox, camino, skype, vlc, transmission etc. Nothing too special, gonna wait a little to reinstall MATLAB.

But so far in my experience, dare I say its as stable, if not more stable, for me than Tiger!

10. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Why get the official DivX player at all? It's a piece. Just get Perian. Plays DivX/XviD files in a bunch of containers just fine, including when embedded in webpages.

11. naftalim macrumors 6502

2 million people purchased Leopard over the weekend, so you can assume that they mostly know what they were doing. I had Vista and I was certainly more worried about that product than any Mac.

12. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

I archived and installed it on my 15inch mbp and absolutely no problems. It installed quick, and everything works perfectly!