so, it looks like iPhone is coming to Verizon early next year, but...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hcho3, Oct 16, 2010.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Let's say Verizon iPhone is coming early next year like Feb, March w/e.

Wouldn't it be too late because iPhone 5 is just around corner?
    I seriously doubt Apple will launch iPhone 5 on both AT&T and Verizon at the same time. These are two biggest networks in the US. Given the fact that Verizon will still use CDMA for some time like 2013. Apple will continue to focus on GSM models...

Are you guys Verzon lovers... willing to buy an iPhone early next year, but it will be outdated so quickly by summer at WWDC?

All you care about is Big red getting some sort of phone with apple logo on it?

2. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Recently I read that there may be an iPhone with both CDMA & GSM circuits in one model. Obviously this would then work for both carriers.

3. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Personally At&T is great here in Orlando so I don't know if I would switch. I would have to check the coverage and compare both AT&T and Verizon and see whats best in the Orlando are and across florida.

The same thing with when both companies switch to 4G. I would have to choose which is best in the Orlando area where I get more 4G.

Whichever is the best. I switch too.

Also I would have to compare pricing.

1 thing that sucks about AT&T is that there unlimited data is gone. If Verizon shows unlimited data I would switch.

I like to watch a lot of netflix, youtube, & use the Justin.TV app which takes plenty of data.

4. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

First, I think this post is in the wrong forum...what does this have to do with the iPad?

Second, I own both Verizon and AT&T phones in my household. There is little doubt that VZW gets superior coverage in most markets and in many cases provides very good coverage when AT&T gets absolutely nothing, especially when out in rural areas.

I'd take my iPhone over to Verizon in a heartbeat, even knowing I'd have to buy new equipment. I think AT&T knows this is going to happen or they wouldn't have renewed everyone's upgrade pricing when they did. They really want you to be afraid of the ETF they've now put in place.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

1. I agree with ReallyBigFeet and I think you meant to post your question in the iPhone section (unless I missed the iPad question)

2. its uncertain if it will launch in early 2011 or in June during WWDC like it has in the past, so I say we just continue to wait for the official word from Steve.

6. calvy macrumors 65816

I'm so sick of hearing about iphone and verizon. Your own posts answers why there won't be one in my opinion. LTE is a ways off from a real large deployment base for either carrier, and Apple isn't going to release an LTE iphone until it's out there widely.

7. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Yes, I would guess we would not see an LTE/4G phone before v6 in 2012. The network is too limited. Vast population areas would not be able to use one of the phone's main features.

If someone wants a 4G Wimax phone, your friendly Sprint store is around the block somewhere.

Samsung was one of the first handset carriers to put out a 3G handset (remember the Samsung Blackjack?), they are the type of company that really cares about being first to market. Its not always that profitable.

8. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Who's to say the ip5 is going to be a significant change.
    Perhaps simply a 64g model, different boot rom, and support for n wireless. If that's the verizon phone may simply lack n and the extra storage capacity.
    Not overly significant. Although some will get hung up on att having the ip4 and verizon only having the ip4

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

minor correction, the iPhone 4 currently supports Wireless B/G/N support, just not 5GHz (unless thats what you meant)

10. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Deleted 2x post

11. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Yes, it's like having an 8cyl engine but the manufacturer only say you can run 4.

12. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

FYI, early 2011, Verizon is getting not the old iPhone 4, but the new iPhone 5 with loads of new features like liquidmetal back, biometric security, upgraded front camera, faster processor, more memory and credit card scanner.

13. shandyman Suspended

and it will also wipe your ass for you too... lol

14. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Even if it doesn't have all these features one things for sure. Verizon is not about to let Apple screw them like they did AT&T. Verizon will make damn sure the one they get has a phone that works.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

True.

Still, it's an interesting coincidence that right now Verizon's LTE will cover 100 million (1/3 of the US population), which is about the same population that AT&T's 3G network covered when the iPhone 3G came out.

Exactly. With the first iPhone's secrecy, ATT engineers were not even allowed to see a complete unit, just the radio sections.

Later, with the 3G model, ATT and its customers took an unnecessary hit because the iPhone WCDMA power control had a bug that caused cells to ramp up their power floor until fringe users got dropped. This is a bug that any CDMA network tester should've and would've checked for first.

With the 3GS, Apple introduced an extreme (compared to other phones) power saving measure, dropping the data connection quickly after each burst. The next data burst could then require a another data connection setup, which clogs the network for no good reason.

Those are just the tip of the iceberg according to the network engineers I've talked with. Apple is still learning radios, and ATT has been slack about doing major testing.

As you said, Verizon is infamous for making phones wait while they're being tested at its "Little House of Horrors". Verizon still has old phone company DNA, and is all about their network hitting the Five Nine's for availability.

16. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

A) I'm assuming there are some people out there that could be dealing with reception issues....perhaps due to some change in life like a move in job or home....that caused them to live/work in an area where they would benefit from Verizon reception, but they already have an iPhone on AT&T and would like to keep an iPhone, but on Verizon....despite the fact a new one is coming out.

B) When you bought your 2010 Hyundai Sonata, did you get all pissed of that it was "outdated" when the sweet new 2011 Sonata was released? Get real, a few months of being on a different model is no big deal. It's not like a car or something where the amount spent is much more significant and the length of time you keep it is usually longer. The whole argument in ludicrious.

I'm guessing that if Apple does release a CDMA iPhone that it will be released on a different schedule. This will give Apple a lot of flexibility. Perhaps one release they'll give new features to the GSM carriers and the next release the CDMA carriers get some different new features.

I was aware of the 3Gs issue, but not the rest. Interesting information. But this is less of AT&T tweaking the phone for "THEIR" network (as Wirelessmacuser has said in the past) and more of QA work in general wouldn't you say? These issues would cause issues on any GSM carrier, not just AT&T. (It was implied in other threads that the issue was that the iPhone was tuned for EU networks and not AT&Ts network...which made no sense to me at all.)

17. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

I don't think I'd want to wipe my ass with liquid metal.

18. queenieamerica macrumors newbie

possible Verizon iPhone

I see Apple needing Verizon and other carriers to expand their market. It appears that the majority of new iPhone sales are currently upgrades and less new customers.

If a Verizon version is available it will need to be a dual mode phone (CDMA and GSM). Because they will want you to be able to use it overseas for international roaming prices $3+/min. (in certain countries).

As a Verizon customer I would like both and have been waiting............

The question will be, how much Verizon will shackle their version? Especially since the courts ruled that "Jailbreaking" a phone is not illegal. Let the hacks begin.............

19. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

On thing everyone keeps missing is Sprint also uses CDMA now and that new phone could be headed for them, also there are CDMA phones in China, so we will not really know anything until it is released and they are all good on keeping us guessing especially Apple, Jobs keeps everything a secret, so this forum IMO will be filled with speculation only, unless you work for Jobs or Verizon and you have hard evidence.

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

While I agree that Verizon would probably prefer a dual mode CDMA+GSM phone, they've always been willing to unlock the GSM side for international use if you ask. Heck, for that matter, there are people using the GSM side of a Verizon World Phone on AT&T, albeit without 3G.

Sprint is always hungry for hot phones, and it would be good for them if Apple sold a phone through Sprint before Verizon. At least they can roam (voice + slow data) on Verizon towers.