So it looks like the Thunderbolt Display is the way to go......

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CochlearArch, Feb 2, 2014.

1. CochlearArch macrumors newbie

Hello Folks,

Its me again. I am a long time Mac fan with very little Mac experience. I have had my iMac for two weeks and seem to be learning its capabilities and potential.

I would like to set up a second monitor and now feel that the Thunderbolt display is the way to go. I hardly look at my Windows 8 laptop that I have had for only 2 months. Funny as it use to be the bees knees but the iMac has taken over that spot.

Please discuss for me the pros and cons of the Thunderbolt Display along with any alternatives. I know this has been discussed before on these pages but please be patient with me. What to watch out for like dust under the glass. Please explain the installation process relative to the Mac.

A Macbook Pro will come later in the year so I think this is a good move. If everything goes as planned the purchase will be made in 4 to 6 weeks. So please someone talk me out of this.

2. wcs0816 macrumors newbie

Look before you leap...

At the risk of sounding overly pessimistic, please take a look at Apple Discussion Board forums before you go this route. I have been having trouble with the Thunderbolt port on my MacBook Pro simply ruining Thunderbolt to HDMI or DVI adapters, and have been a constant participant in this forum since last summer when it started happening. Which eventually led me to the Thunderbolt Monitor discussion board to see if their users were having the same issue. All told, I can't advise NOT to buy one since I don't own one, but please take a look at the recurring issue with them before buying one from Apple.

3. CochlearArch thread starter macrumors newbie

Just wanted to add,

I was looking at the reviews on the apple store web site. I did not see many positive reviews. I understand there are many ways to use this monitor and results will depend on the different uses.

This will be a second screen for my iMac. A Macbook Pro will be added later in the year and I might pick up an iPad. I have lost my hearing and do not care about the speakers. I hope to have implant surgery soon.

I have no one in my circle who owns an iMac so I am relying on tho site and others for all of my information.

4. CochlearArch thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple insider has suggested that the Thunderbolt Display might be up for a makeover. Supplies of the current model have sold out with several retailers.

So its either wait for the new Thunderbolt display or purchas a mac and pc capable display.

5. CochlearArch thread starter macrumors newbie

With the poor reviews I saw on the Apple Store website I have to ask.

is anyone happy with their Thunderbolt Display?

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

7. cxc273 macrumors regular

I like my Thunderbolt display and haven't had any issues with it whatsoever.

It does a very nice job with my MacBook Pro and Air.

It is, however, an older device and rumors have been abound for a while that it might be replaced any day now. My biggest complaint about the current display is that the USB ports are still 2.0.

You can peruse the forums for speculation on what the next generation display will be, and if you really need a display right now, I would advise purchasing it from Apple's refurbished store where it's only $799, versus the normal $999 price.

8. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

People only post to complain. Very few will post just to praise and that goes for anything. I could not be happier with mine.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G3

The thunderbolt display is at the end of its product cycle -- perhaps somewhat -past- that "end". Add to that the reality that it's WAY overpriced for what you get.

There are numerous 3rd-party displays out there that will give you a display that is every bit the equal of the Apple display. Of course, you don't get the cute Apple logo on it, and no 3rd-party display can be connected via thunderbolt (though they still connect via the thunderbolt port).

I suggest you begin investigating what's available by checking this page:
    http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php

Also be aware that if you're going to be getting a MacBook, you could buy a fine 3rd-party display and buy one of the new thunderbolt docks from Caldigit or Akitio, and have a very usuable "docking solution". See these links:
    http://www.caldigit.com/thunderboltstation/
    and
    http://www.akitio.com/accessories/thunder-dock

A new thunderbolt display -may- be coming. Possibly it could arrive with the release of an updated Mac Mini, as early as the end of this month, but there's no way to tell.
    One thing's for sure -- it won't be cheap.

10. melburstein macrumors regular

melburstein

My TBD works perfectly with the rMBP (mid 2012) via Thunderbolt cable in, with a second Thunderbolt cable going from the TBD to a CalDigit docking station. A second monitor (dell U2410) is connected from that device. I read the rumors of a new TBD but decided to not wait and have no regrets.

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I have one on my mini at work. Love it.

12. CochlearArch thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for the and courage ing words. At this moment it is between the TBD and a MacBookPro. Only $500 seperate the TBD and the rMBP that I would like. I am still 4 to 6 weeks away from this purchase. Anything can happen.

13. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Currently using 2 Thunderbolt Displays with my iMac - love them - got them $500 each so that also helped influence the decision. There worth about that :)

14. CochlearArch thread starter macrumors newbie

SAY WHAT!!!!

Now you have my head spinning. That is just sick.

15. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

I have two TBD driven by a MBA. It works wonderfully and I enjoy it very much.